Anyone with a VSG then a Revision to a VSG (smaller)?

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/3/11 10:15 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hey Ms Shell, 

Good to see your pretty smiling face again!  According to the upper scope I have another ha ital hernia and my esophagus flap is very flat.  That is why I have extreme acid reflux.  My doctor suggested to get a RN.  

I'm trying to make a decision on what to do.  

Thanks. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

teachmid
on 9/3/11 1:39 pm - OKC, OK
I know who you saw, an she's an excellent physician. But, you might consider getting another consult with a surgeon who does all four WLS procedures. The nearest one is Dr. Daryl Stewart in Denton, TX. In general, surgeons will promote only those procedures that they personally perform.

My personal disclaimer: I'm pro DS since I had a RNY and revised to a DS last year. Ultimately it's your choice and my advice is to be informed so that you can make the best decision for yourself and your body.

God luck..
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/3/11 10:13 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi teachmid,

I have a question for you.  Do you or did you have acid reflux?  I have bad acid reflux right now.  Just wondering if the DS would help out with my acid reflux.  I hear the RNY would prevent me from having it.   I really don't think that I could get approved for the DS anyway, low BMI. 

Thanks for your input.  Waiting for your reply.

Virgie Tschirhart

teachmid
on 9/4/11 1:54 am - OKC, OK
You know, I had stomach "issues" for years with the RNY, not necessarily reflux although I took a lot of tums.

I don't know if the RNY would hel*****t...good question for a surgeon who does all the procedures. Seems like there was something addressing this on the DS board not long ago.

After my kind of revision, my surgeon said the reflux tends to be worse......so I've been on a PPI since surgery and have no problems. When I saw him in June, he advised me to stay on it. I'll see him in December and go from there.

Will your insurance cover a RNY at your BMI? I was originally planning to just revise my RNY with Dr. Nelson, but my insurance would not cover any WLS even with documented problems and she would not take self pay. For me, that ended up being a blessing.

Good luck with your decision, I know it's hard.
     -Gail-

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/4/11 3:14 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
When I had the LB my insurance covered it.  When I had the Sleeve, I had to self pay, the insurance only covered the part of removing the LB, not procedure of the Sleeve.  I don't know if my insurance will cover the RNY.  I guess I will find out soon.  I have nevered heard of a doctor who would not take self pay.  What was her reason that she did not want to accept the cash?

Thanks for replying.  

Virgie Tschirhart

teachmid
on 9/4/11 4:05 am - OKC, OK
She said that, because of the risk of complications, she didn't feel justified in putting me in a serious financial bind if something should "happen".

She also said typically not to expect the significant weight loss or improvement in my diabetes that I saw with the RNY. Now don't get me wrong, I like and respect her, but my diabetes is totally gone. . And, although the weight loss is slow, I'm satisfied at this point. I'm just a few pounds from my lowest RNY weight but would like to lose about another 20.

-Gail-

teachmid
on 9/4/11 2:01 am - OKC, OK
Just a thought, have you checked out the Lightweights Board?There's all sorts of friendly folks over there who've had a variety of procedures.

I reread your posts. Did you really only lose 30 pounds with your VSG? How discouraging.
     -Gail-

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/4/11 3:17 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I have not been on the Lightweights Board in a while.  Sound like a good idea. 

Yes, I only lost 30 lbs and I have gained 15 lbs now.

Virgie Tschirhart

Ms Shell
on 9/4/11 12:19 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Please do yourself a favor and at LEAST take the advice of others and SEE a surgeon that does ALL 4 surgeries.  At this stage in the game since there are 4 surgeries why not see someone who does them all??  You have no idea what CAN and can't get approved until you SEE someone who does them and puts in the request right?  There are under 40 BMI getting approved for the DS all the time, so you never know until you ASK.  I know it's more for you to think about but if you are going in for your 3rd sugery shouldn't you cover all the bases you can and get a few opinions before you finalize your decision.

Best of success darlin...

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/5/11 12:58 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Ms Shell you and the rest of my friends are right.  I should look into finding a physician who does all 4 surgeries. I just hate the fact that no one in Oklahoma does all 4 surgeries.  The closest is Dr. Stewart in North Texas.  I'm going to think about it some more.

Thanks again.

Virgie Tschirhart

Most Active