Anyone with a VSG then a Revision to a VSG (smaller)?

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/23/11 1:42 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I had my VSG in 2009.  I did not get to my goal.  I am seeing a Therapist for help on my food issues.  I'm going to see my new doctor on Thursday.  I am not able to continue to pay for each follow up visit, since I was self pay to my orginal surgeon.  I was not happy with him he made me feel even worse when I would go for my check ups.    He would say that I was next to his worst patient. 

I said all that just to ask.   If someone out here has had a VSG revision, from their orginal VSG, to make it smaller, adjusted?  I have been having really bad acid reflux lately.  I 'm going to talk to my doctor about that too, maybe I don't need a revision, my new doc may be able to help me in another way.  I do not have the qualifications for a DS, my BMI is only 36.   

Thanks for replying.   

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/24/11 1:40 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Well you know what, I was just asking.  It does not mean that I was going to do it.  Listen, I know that I have eating issues, I guess we did at one time, but some have overcome.  I am working with a Therapist rignt now. 

I never even heard about the DS until after I had the sleeve.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.   I don't believe the VSG is likely to fail, that's my opinion.  I believe it was more on my part.

As far as being screwed, I don't think so.  I'm getting help and no that would be stupid for me to believe you and go and get qualified for the DS.  That would mean gain more weight, like a 55 BMI.  No thanks.  

I have a new doctor and I don't care to talk to my old surgeon anymore.   I wanted the VSG at the time, he does not do the DS.  Even if I wanted to get the DS from the beginning I did not qualify with my BMI. 

Thanks for replying. 

Virgie Tschirhart

stormechaser
on 8/24/11 5:34 pm, edited 8/24/11 5:39 pm
DS on 06/08/17
(ETA: This is a response to the poster DianaCox)

Let me start this off by saying I don't want to get into a ******g match nor am I trying to attack anyone,

with that being said, this is one of the most condescending replies I have ever read on this board. I am struggling myself with a VSG and I have consistently seen DS people belittle anyone who doesn't agree with them that their surgery is the end all be all. This has got to stop!

And the food issues that you so cavalierly dismissed as physiological...well, I didn't see an MD after your name so you cannot make that assumption. Psychological evaluation is a component of pre-op for a reason.

Hey, we all got fat for one reason or another. My food issues are my way of coping with being molested as a child. I don't drink./smoke/do drugs because I get high with food. I also compulsively shop. My surgery is failing for multiple reasons including these. You have no idea what the original poster goes through in regards to her relationship with food. How dare you tell her that the proper surgery (again, read: DS because it's the only way!) will alleviate this?

I think you owe the original poster a huge apology for being so rude and self-righteous. I don't personally care what you have to say to me.

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 5:47 pm - San Jose, CA
There's a button at the bottom of all posts, marked BLOCK.  I suggest you grow a thicker skin, learn to ignore anything that isn't helpful to you personally, or use the button.  You are NOT entitled to tell me how to post.
stormechaser
on 8/24/11 5:58 pm
DS on 06/08/17
Oh, don't worry about me. I have a thick skin, that's why I am able to call out people such as yourself-bulllies. As far as being helpful, honey, your about as helpful as a heart attack.

I will be blocking you, and as far as not being able to tell you how to post, well if your parents didn't teach you how to not be self-righteous, condescending and a know-it-all, then there's nothing that I or anyone else can do for you.

pandavenise
on 8/29/11 2:18 am
 I took your suggestion
pandavenise
on 8/29/11 2:17 am
 Boy I have to agree with you on that one. I psoted something about RNY revision and I was told I hadn't done all my research and that in not so many words I was stupid for not going to DS. And it was a reply by the same person you are talking about. She is all over the board doing this. You don't see RNY people posting how stupid you are for getting DS. They fail to mention that most of them have had a fairly high BMI of at least over 40 and that  they also gain weight back.  It also depends on what insurance you have also. I have medicare and not too many Dr's want to take it so I have checked into the DS and my BMI is too low and not any of the DR's in the bay area will take the medicare. I did talk to a DR in Delano he does take medicare but not medical which I have also but said I would have to pay a program fee of 4000.00 to make up the difference. So you DS lady back off you are starting to get quite a name for yourself around her and it isn't  a pretty one
stormechaser
on 8/29/11 3:00 am
DS on 06/08/17
hi Panda!

There is a distinct difference b/t being passionate about something and trying to force it down someones throat. I think we can tell which is going on here. I can appreciate encouragement. I encouraged my oldest sister and she is now happily 1 year out of an RNY with amazing results. I gave her information, went to seminars with her, shared my successes and failures with her. I never said or implied my VSG is the end all be all because its not. I don't care what the numbers say about any darn procedure. They are important, sure, but are not indicative of how one particular surgery will go. (sorry to get on my soapbox!)

I think all of us who are considering a revision are a-trying to come to terms with an initial "failed" attempt and how that makes us feel and b-are trying to choose the best options next for us as individuals. The last think we need or want is criticism and to be belittled.

And as a side note, I have been reviewing the DS as a second step and the results are not as promising as they could be if the DS was done initially. I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't want to have a revision and be in the exact same boat I am in now. 

MsBatt
on 8/23/11 8:02 am
How much have you lost with your Sleeve, and how much do you still need/want to lose?

Re-Sleeving is pretty dangerous---if your Sleeve has stretched significantly, your stomach tissue is now pretty thin. This greatly increases the risks of leaks, as would crossing the old staple line.

Do you journal your food? How many calroies a day are you eating, and what's your protein/fat/carb ratios? With a BMI of 36, you *might* qualify for revision to the DS---just depends on your insurance policy and your medical issues. That's certainly what I'd be trying to get in your situation.
Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/24/11 1:50 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi Ms Batt,

I lost 30 lbs with my Sleeve.  I want to lose about 40 lbs more. 

I had no idea that Re-Sleeving was so dangerous.  I just want to get a new doctor and get a fresh new perspective on my situation.  Hopefully she will not insult me, like my previous doc did. 

As for a journal no I don't.  I guess I will have to start when again.  I really don't eat to much food quantity wise, just that I don't eat as much protein as I should.  I eat white carbs I know I shouldn't.  That is why I am seeing a therapist.  

Thanks for replying.

Virgie Tschirhart

Most Active