Introduction-----

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 11:43 pm - Las Vegas, NV
My name is Caryn...I am post op of the lap-band 7 years, and scheduled for a revision on Sept. 7th to the RNY. My band has slipped and I have suffered 3 years of gastritis and since been diagnosed with Barretts esophagus. My weight loss has been at a stand still for over 3 years...due to no fills since the supposed slippage, which I can date back to April of 2008, it was JUST proven on my ENDOSCOPY and Upper GI. ( I knew all along, no one would listen)
I had my band done in Mexico, by Dr. Kuri...who I STILL have the upmost respect for...he is an excellent doctor. My revision will be done in San Diego by Dr. Wisbach at the Navel hospital.
I am excited and scared at the same time about this revision...I know there is a different between RNY and the lap-band...and I been looking in to protein suppliments already for my liquid phase. I also...got the Biotin vitamin for my hair and nails...(I take my hair seriously!) 

I have a question about vitamins...when can you start taking them after your surgery..and what if some are not chewable?? I mean, my BIOTIN is not. 
Annette O.
on 8/23/11 2:58 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
Welcome Caryn,
  I just recently joined this board and my revision from Band to RNy is on 9/19. I had my lap band surgery in Sept. 06.
   I've spent so much time throwing up that I'm afraid if I haven't already that I will do damage to my esophegus. Last year I watched my bosses Husband pass away from esopheguel cancer. While no cancer is fun, this poor man suffered immensly and I don't want to go that WAY. I'm hoping my new surgery will end the constant vomitting along with more permanant weight loss. the most I ever lost was 60 lbswith the band, and need to lose like 150!
  Sorry  to digress about myself, but again welcome and i'm always looking for vitamin and protein suggestions myself.
Annette O
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 1:50 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Annette,
    I completely understand where your fear is coming from. I also am very scared of having my revision. I have had this band inside of me for 7 years....for the last almost 3 of them, it has caused me great pain, and I have been slowing climbing back up the weight ladder. I also...only lost around 45-50 pounds with the lap-band, but i did reach my goal of getting pregnant, a year and a half after my band surgery.   I fear erosion...or scar tissue...or something along those lines keeping my doctor from preforming the revision...but i am trying to be positive, and think good thoughts. :) 

We will have to keep in touch and give each other support and encouragement thru our new journey we will be starting. 

I did go to GNC and got a couple of the liquid protein drinks they have...some have 42 grams of protein in them...and I mixed one with a bottle of water...because it tasted awful alone.  I also started a new vitamin called Biotin for my HAIR as I do not want to lose my hair...but, it is not a chewable and I am not sure how that will work. 
I am considering getting the book..."Weight loss surgery for dummies" as this gastric bypass is different from the lapband, and a friend suggested it.

If you hear of any good input or information...keep me posted...and I will do that same for you.
Nice to meet you...and I will post after my surgery .
Most Active