Revision options for a RNY

TIANNA C.
on 8/18/11 5:23 pm - SALINAS, CA
I've been trying to research what options are available, but there are so many different scenarios.

I had a distal RNY 11/2001 - 10 years ago.  I started at 266lbs, got to my lowest of 147lbs and after about 2 years slowing starting regaining weight.  I am now around 230lbs.  I have acid reflux and still have some issues like dumping, food getting stuck, etc.

Revising to a DS seems so severe and I'm scared.  I was so terrified when doing my RNY I'm not sure how I can even handle any kind of revision.  I read about the ROSE, but people on here do not seem to have had positive experiences.  Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on BOB, DS or ROSE, just any info you have would be great.  I don't want to start a fight just trying to get a variety of opinions.  I'm pretty miserable and would love to get my life back. 

Thanks!
michelehei
on 8/19/11 1:21 am
 Tianna you should spend some time reading the DS forum.  I originally was going to revise my vbg from 16 years ago to the RNY and after reading the DS fourm I have decided to revise to the DS.  The people on that board are so wonderful and knowledgable about the DS and share so much information.  They lead wonderful healthy lives and can actually walk you through step by step the DS pre and post op process.  There are links on there for newbies that will give you a wealth of information about the DS.  I too was scared of that surgery when thinking what it involves.  I recommend you look at the DS from the veterans standpoints and see what great success you can have after that procedure.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 5:53 am - San Jose, CA
You pretty much have no other choice but the DS.  You will probably find - after a pretty awful surgery and recovery - that you have a MUCH better quality of life with the DS than with the distal RNY - it combines the worst of the RNY and the DS - AND it doesn't work very well, as you have discovered.

The biggest concern, I would think, is that your pyloric valve has been defunctionalized for 10 years now - if it has atrophied and is no longer functional, you may be screwed.  You should ask about that.

And don't even bother considering ROSE, Stomaphyx, etc.  They have been shown to be worthless once you are allowed to start eating again. 

BOB - what exactly is the point of that?  Now you have the misery of your distal RNY AND a Crapband.
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 10:18 am - Bayonne, NJ
I revised to the DS in Dec. 2009. I'm very happy. It was a rough recovery since I had a lot done during the procedure, but I have my life back. I'm thrilled.

ROSE and Stomaphyx don't work. There's very little success with band over bypass, and no real long-term studies. The few studies that have been done have an extremely small population sample.
Most Active