I think I need revision, I dont know where to begin. ANY advice...PLEASE!

D. Scott
on 8/17/11 2:35 am
RNY with
Ok so I had lapband in March of 2009. I did well the first year losing 70lbs in just over 12 months. My second year was mostly maintenence with a few lbs gained, however it started going downhill toward the end of the second year. I started have terrible burning when eating, my iron levels went wacky, and so I was completely unfilled and sent for an endoscopy. Since they took 2+ months to get around to doing the endoscopy there was never any official proof of an ulcer, but it was assumed that there was one based on the symptoms. After 3 months I finally started getting fills again but as you know that is a slow process so 4+ months later I was gaining fairly quickly. Then I finally started getting some restriction recently only to start up all of the old issues. Burning while eating, and now I am also getting heartburn, getting stuck, and having back pain (not sure if it relates or not). I am not losing any weight even though I hardly eat much in a sitting, but that is also because I am so hungry all of the time so I am eating more often. I would think I am too tight but I am so hungry.

I dont know what to do. If this is dilation, I think we can safely say an unfill is not going to solve it considering I was unfilled completely for over 3 months early this year and as soon as I got back to restriction the symptoms returned (plus some). So if this is dilation does insurance cover revision or is it deemed my fault? I am with Blueshield of California but I have no idea how to check what is covered in terms of revision, does anyone know how I can look into my insurance coverage or anything else helpful. This is so hard and just awful right now. I really do not know where to begin. My doctor has ordered a repeat upper gi to be done in November since the one I had done 2 months ago showed "borderline dilation" so he wants to have it verified. I am at a loss.
sandy_mt
on 8/17/11 2:51 am
 You may want to consult with a revision surgeon to give you the best advice.  You have 2 of the best revision surgeons available to you in California:  Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco and Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, I belive.  They are familiar with all the surgeries that are done and can give you the best advice.  Good luck!

Sandy

D. Scott
on 8/17/11 3:21 am
RNY with
I didnt know Dr. Keshishian was so close. Thank you for the info. I called his office and filled out the inquiry on his website.
Hislady
on 8/17/11 5:45 am - Vancouver, WA
Good luck to you it definately sounds like a revision is in order, so wishing you the best. I've heard great things about Dr. K so you are in good hands!
teachmid
on 8/17/11 6:56 am - OKC, OK
Dr. K is wonderful! He did my revision last December.

Good luck.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

D. Scott
on 8/17/11 7:08 am
RNY with
Were you PPO? When I spoke to his office earlier they said that they do not work with Blue Shield medical groups just direct like PPO. She suggested that some clients have gone with an out of network referral or something like that. Any thoughts on how to do that?
Lori F.
on 8/17/11 1:00 pm - Chula Vista, CA
I have Cigna HMO and it took me six weeks to get an appointment with Dr. Keshishian due to all of the insurance issues. Take matters into your own hands. Read what your policy says. Call your insurance company over and over (TAKE NAMES) and call Dr. K's office repeatedly, as well. I was told by Dr. K's office that I don't have bariatric coverage, and, after a week of calling Cigna, I insisted that I do, in fact, have coverage. One hoop jumped. Then, Dr. K's office said I needed a referral. Saw the PCP and got a referral- insurance said I was approved for three visits. Then, referral was faxed to Dr. K. Finally, the office staff then was told me I didn't need a referral after all. So, it took six weeks but I finally have an appointment 9/13. I am jumping through similar hoops for Dr. Crookes at USC. If you want this, take matters into your own hands! Don't give up. Get a copy of your policy and memorize it!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
teachmid
on 8/17/11 8:00 am - OKC, OK
Sorry. I was self pay. Ugh....but worth every penny.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

DonnaCrosland
on 8/19/11 5:28 am - WA
wow that was like reading my story all over again.  sigh it happens to the best of us.  And the hardest part is that we got to goal and then it slipped (sorry for the pun) away.

I am self pay - so can't answer your insurance questions - but I go to Mexico and am getting a revision to sleeve on Oct 2nd.

don't wait too long - it only adds more for you to lose....

Barb McGraw
on 8/21/11 4:16 am - Mount Hermon, CA
Lap Band on 05/18/05 with
Douglas Krahn in San Bernardino is the best. I'd be with him but I'm in North CA. He has saved many lives from botched surgeries.
Barb McGraw
Where the Redwoods meet the Pacific ocean
Most Active