Repost from last month: WLS Failure is NEVER your fault.

Cheryl N.
on 8/17/11 12:41 am - Des Moines, WA
I just wanted to remind you all newbies revision people and oldies.

I was at OH Event last month and I attended the revision session and Dr. Lauter said that weight loss surgery failure is never your fault.

SO keep that in mind in case people look down at you, they just don't understand what WLS is unless they are truly interested in learning more about it and wanting to know more before they judge you.

My friends are very understanding because I have explained about lapband, its failure and how I suffered so much, and revised to bypass.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Mary B.
on 8/17/11 2:23 am - Southern, MD
Great post Cheryl!

My friends and family did understand. They saw first hand how I couldnt keep food down. When I ate they could tell what was going to happen by the look on my face. They would point me right to the bathroom so I could go 'give my food back'. That was code for PB...or 'feeding the birds' hahaha!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Hislady
on 8/17/11 5:40 am - Vancouver, WA
And the sad part is many of the ones calling you a failure are the docs themselves. We all know how hard we work and don't deserve that type of treatment so thanks for posting this again!
Ladytazz
on 8/17/11 10:29 am
I still feel like a failure with my first WLS.  I do feel that I didn't have good pre op education or post op follow up and my surgeon may very well have done the surgery poorly but I am the one that didn't make any effort to change my eating habits or address my food issues.  When I think back to that time I wonder WTH was I thinking but a lot of it was the thinking at that time that with the surgery I had you could pretty much eat what you want and not gain weight.  There is a lot more knowledge out there then there was 9 years ago and for that I am glad.  I hope no one else has to go through what I went through.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active