realize band removal

mjst220
on 8/13/11 9:01 am
I have decided to have my band removed after 3 yrs of fills and unfills and weight GAIN. Has anyone had this done? I have decided to not have any more wls until I get myself straight. The doc thinks I am actually allergic to my band or having a rejection problem. I also have BCBS of ga who paid for the sx but do they pay for removal? Is the pain similar to placement? thanks
TamaraL
on 8/14/11 4:09 am
They will pay for the removal if it is medically necessary.  I had revision but I can say that my area where my port was hurt

Tamara

mjst220
on 8/14/11 8:14 am
thanks for replying to my post. If you dont mind can I ask what kind of revision you had? I had made my mind up but now I am kind of on the fence.
Thanks
TamaraL
on 8/14/11 8:27 am

I had lap band to RNY revision.  WHen I had the band I was very, very against the bypass but I have to say I am much happier with the bypass.  I did see a psychologist for several visits and feel I made the right choice for me.

Do your research.  Look into the sleeve, RNY.  Make sure you make the best choice for you.  Don't listen to all the political crap

I would do the revision again in a heartbeat!!!! 

But make sure you know why the lap band didn't work.  I can honestly say that 80-90% was band failure and the rest was things I could have done differently.  I don't regret the band because I think of the band as a band rehearsal and this is the real thing!!!

Tamara

mjst220
on 8/17/11 6:02 am
I dont know if they will consider my problem band failure or not...I have been filled and unfilled so many times i have lost count. The last unfill was a total one and I "had" 7cc in a 9cc realize band but they could only get 4cc out. So i dont know...was the recovery with the RNY rough?
thanks
TamaraL
on 8/17/11 9:40 am
I was sore only because I was doing too much.  As soon as I woke up from surgery I was hyper and felt 100% better.  Now its not been an easy trip but nothing is.  Its hard some times to eat because I have no appetite what so ever.  Sometimes I have to eat only because I have to.  Weight loss has been good but slow. 

I really was sore the second week worse than the first week. went to the mall on day 2 and walked around.   I walked 2 1/2 miles 3 or 4 days after my surgery!!  I really had so much energy. 

mjst220
on 8/17/11 10:18 am
Wow! That's a lot of doing ad walking for 3 days out! I felt great after the band just nauseous a lot. I am terrifed of having a leak at my suture line or something off the wall. I figured the post op time from bypass would be very painful but a lot of people say its not.
Most Active