The purpose of revisions?

rumble_stick_chick
on 8/15/11 8:42 am
Can you have the band removed all together and not do something else?

I am very hesitant of a surgery that reroutes parts of your intestions and you lose weight because of malabsorption.

I feel I am teetering on the edge of being snarky or confrontational but that is NOT my intent.

After 25 years of weight issues and a Mother that died of intestional bypass in 1975 I am thinking all different ways and malabsorption seems very drastic for me.

I had a post where a woman said she can eat 3000+ calories high fat at that and to me that sounds crazy. I eat that now a day and look where it got me. 301 lbs. I am looking for more of a tool to help me along.
Am I making sense?
teachmid
on 8/15/11 10:07 am - OKC, OK
Because of the malabsorption, DS'ers often need to eat a lot of calories. Eating fat is a non-issue since we do not absorb 80% of the fat. Having had a RNY many years ago and a revision to a DS last December, it is really hard to change the "diet mentality.".
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

rumble_stick_chick
on 8/15/11 10:22 am
Thanks for the reply.
Many times I have tried WW and just can't get the point thing, I more of a serving or exchange kinda girl and could never accept the point thing. 

I really want a little help and not a whole lot of rearranging done.

Do you also eat high fat items? Are you restricted in the amount you can eat? Do you also eat fruits and vegetables ?

teachmid
on 8/15/11 11:21 pm - OKC, OK
Well, I'm a lifetime WW member and went back at least 20 or 30 times. I did Jenny Craig for a year, lost about 59 pounds starving all the time. Did Phen-fen, low carb, low fat...you name it all since my RNY.

I'm still new.....had my DS revision last December. I eat 5-6 pieces of bacon every morning for breakfast. I do not count calories, just grams of protein and I'm mindful of my carbs. I still have some problems with dense proteins. (meats) but it's improving. I eat something about every 2-3 hours: cheese, salami,pepperoni, Greek yogurt, nuts, deviled eggs,,,,,,,the list goes on, at this point on my weight loss journey, I limit fruit and simple carbs. I will eat Greek yogurt with a few berries and pecans. I eat a few bites of salad or vegetable. Right now I'm on a cesear salad binge. If we go out to eat, I get shrimp ****tail or scampi and nibble off my husband'd plate.

It is a totally different way of eatng.....and thinking.....for me. I don't eat a lot at one sitting, but if I get hungry I just eat again, I also drink at least 3 protein shakes or coffees a day and love them.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 2:52 am - San Jose, CA
The intestinal bypass your mother had in 1975 was the JIB, and it was a HORRIBLE surgery.  The DS is nothing like that.

Eating high fat and high protein with the DS is a perfectly lovely way to live.  Butter, mayo, full fat salad dressing, steak, shellfish, bacon - these are all "DS health foods."  What's crazy about that?  We don't absorb most of the fat, therefore we can eat pretty much as much fat as we want.  Fat has the highest calorie content of all nutrients (9 kcal/g vs. 4 for protein and carbs), but after doing the "DS Math", it has around 1.8 kcal/g - yet fat is the most satiating food you can eat.  When you eat fat, you feel satisfied - your hunger is stilled, your mouth is happy, and you stay satisfied for longer than eating other foods.

To give you a concrete example: 100 g of fat contains 900 kcal.  But that same amount of fat would only be 180 calories to a DSer, because we malabsorb 80% of the fat.  It never gets out of our intestines, so it has NO effect on our cholesterol, triglycerides, plaque, or fat metabolism.  It's almost like we never ate it - except we get the satisfaction of getting to eat it.  It doesn't suck.

Here's a real-life example - a KFC Double Down:
Pre-DS math:

Item

Serving Size (gms)

Calories

Calories from Fat

Total Fat (gms)

Saturated Fat (gms)

Trans Fat (g)

Cholesterol (mgs)

Sodium (mgs)

Carbohydrates (gms)

Dietary Fiber (gms)

Sugars (gms)

Protein (gms

Double Down with OR Filet

Post-DS Math:

Double Down with OR Filet

610 - only about 235 kcal absorbed

330 x .2 =

66 kcal

37 x .2 =

7.4 g

150 x .2 =

30 mg

18 x .6 =

10.8 g

52 x .6 = 31.2

What's not to like?  (Except I found the Double Down too dry - I don't like white meat chicken much anymore - I prefer the juicier and fattier thighs instead.)
rumble_stick_chick
on 8/15/11 4:57 pm
I found this information on a site called

Gastric restrictive surgery in the motivated, cooperative patient, who has been educated in the nutritional requirements to maintain adequate protein/calorie/mineral/vitamin intake, routinely results in a smooth post-operative course, with some protein deficit in the first 3 postoperative months, which is completely restored 18 months after surgery, by which time the patient will have re-established a lean body mass appropriate to the total body weight.

Pure gastric restrictive procedures such as vertical banded gastroplasty (VBG), silastic ring gastroplasty (SRG) and adjustable silastic gastric banding (AGB) all achieve weight loss by restricting volume of intake. Intake becomes a function of the patients motivation to chew well and eat slowly. Failure to do so may result in repeated vomiting and isolated cases of protein and vitamin deficiency have been reported in these cir****tances. Careful patient follow up is therefore mandatory, with particular emphasis on the first three postoperative months. Adjustable silastic gastric banding (AGB) approved in 2001 for use in the USA following FDA trials can be considered functionally similar to vertical banded gastroplasty.

Gastric bypass with Roux-y (RGB) results in ingested food bypassing the gastric fundus, body, antrum, duodenum and a variable length of proximal jejunum. In consequence, these patients are at risk to develop iron deficiency secondary to lack of contact of food iron with gastric acid and consequent reduced conversion of iron from the relatively insoluble ferrous to the more absorbable ferric form. In addition, vitamin B12 deficiency may result in consequence of food no longer coming in contact with gastric intrinsic factor. Vitamin D and calcium absorption may also be reduced since the duodenum and proximal jejunum, which are the preferential sites of absorption, are bypassed by this procedure. Life long supplements of multivitamins, vitamin B12 iron and calcium are mandatory following this procedure. A corollary of this is the need for long term follow up for physical, nutritional and metabolic evaluation and counseling

Biliopancreatic diversion (BPD) and Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPDS) are procedures designed to incorporate a maximum of malabsorption along with a degree of gastric restriction while at the same time reducing the incidence of complications which were previously associated with the outdated jejuno-ileal bypass procedure. These procedures induce extensive weight loss, but still have a significant incidence of metabolic consequences which make careful long term nutritional supplementation, biochemical monitoring and clinical follow-up absolutely essential.

* In the red is what scares me.
* Do you say it will be usless to me because I have so much to lose?

1) My plan is start the 6 month diet and lose as much as I can. I would need 100+lbs to put me under 40 BMI and even then I have diabetes, bone on bone arthritis, hypertension, hyperlipidemia. During this time I am learning how to eat healthy and portion size because I will weight it all out and measure.
2) Get the band and use that tool to help me along to 150 lbs weight loss.
3) At anytime before the surgery I can decide that I do not want surgery and continue to do it on my own.
4) Get the srugery, use the tool and lose weight, get off all medication, feel better and live healthy.

Most Active