In need of informed, constructive words -- Puttin' It ALL out there

heathercross
on 8/14/11 4:49 am - New York, NY
I am basing this on me and a conversation I had with 3 different surgeons in NYC, all who do DS, and they said, that it is very tricky and not easy when you have had an OPEN Rny.  While I never "entertained" a DS (although it is covered with my medical plan), I did ask them to tell me about all revision options and the pros and cons of each.  I don't speak out my ass.  I've been on and off these boards for 10 yrs.  I live in NYC and have access to the finest doctors in the world.  I wasnt going to do this TWICE without asking questions.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 4:56 am - Bayonne, NJ
Uh huh. I'm right across the river and probably spoke with the same people. Amazing how I got completely different information and a DS.

Roslin in NYC and Greenbaum in Willingboro, NJ both do them, although they're selective about their patients. If Roslin thinks you won't be compliant or will be a problem, he'll tell you no right out.  I had OPEN RNY in 2003, with the added complication of the permanent ring on my stoma. Greenbaum excised the ring, reattached the stomach, created the sleeve, performed the switch, removed my gall bladder & appendix, and fixed a partial bowel obstruction. I went to Dr. Greenbaum specifically because he'd worked with Dr. Kamelgard at one point and I knew he would know what to do about that added VBG.

Husted and Keshishian both routinely perform DS revisions on RNY & RNY Fobi Pouch patients.

Show real studies and stop spouting hearsay.
heathercross
on 8/14/11 5:05 am - New York, NY
Roslin was one of them.  I've known him for 10yrs as I had my initial surgery at Lenox Hill.  Look, all I am saying is that everyone on this board hears FAILED BAND, FAILED RNY --> DS!  There are other options.  That is all I said to her initially.  Why don't you jump all over the person who said "all you'll lose with a band" is 25lbs.  I'm done. I'll go back to the civilized board (LapBand and Main Board).

Heather
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 6:16 am - San Jose, CA
HeatherCross is full of **** as usual.

Both Rabkin and Keshishian, who are two of the BEST DS surgeons in the world, two of the best at doing virgin DS laparoscopically, and two of the VERY few competent to do RNY to DS revisions, say that RNY to DS revisions SHOULD be done open, because of the scar tissue and not knowing WHAT they are going to find when they get inside - sewing the transected stomach back together and then doing the vertical sleeve needs to be done where they can see what they are doing as well.  Plus, undoing the intestinal configuration of the RNY and putting the intestines back together before making the second set of cuts in the right places - just too much to do it properly with a lap procedure in a timely fashion.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 9:21 am - Bayonne, NJ
Heather blocked me. I guess she doesn't like it when people point out that her logic is flawed. Her loss.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 9:36 am
 Hi,

Thx for the info.  At least for me, I want to keep this a positive, open exchange of constructive information that can be used.  Calling people names just doesn't work for me.

I may agree or disagree with any/all of you, but I am OK with that.  This is a public board and we get to exchange info. As comedian Lewis Black would say, "We're all different; we're like snowflakes".

Time will tell regarding which path I take.  I am researching like crazy and looking for objective info.

Thx to all.
sandy_mt
on 8/14/11 9:43 am
 I had an open RNY to a laparoscopic DS with Dr. Roslin, Lenox Hill in NYC.  One of the top, if not the best, weight loss revision surgeon in New York. 

heathercross
on 8/14/11 10:17 am - New York, NY

Sandy, one of the best?  The best. I saw him.  He was partners with my original doctor and was my 1st choiuce for the Band,  but, at the time, Lenox Hill was not recognized as a Bariatric Center of Excellance with Aetna (they had ben just bought by North Shore LIJ). I went with Dr. Kurian instead. Dr. Roslin is GOD. I would never say anything negative about him. And, if he said RNY revision too risky (for me) and DS not possible bc of Open RNY (for me), I believed him.

teachmid
on 8/14/11 5:32 am - OKC, OK
Heather, I had a open RNY to open DS revision last December. It is possible.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

NoMore B.
on 8/14/11 5:40 am
 Dr Roslin recorded his presentation to ASMBS this year on revisions - I think you'll find it very helpful:

vimeo.com/25570146
Most Active