AETNA PPO and revision

crothers2003
on 8/10/11 11:01 am - Scottsville, VA
 Wanting to find out if anyone with AETNA PPO has had issues getting revision from RNY to BPD/DS due to to mechanical failure?

sandy_mt
on 8/10/11 1:14 pm
 I have Aetna PPO.  They do approve revisions.  There is no real concrete criteria as to what they base their decisions on.  I was denied at first because I wanted an out-of-network surgeon and my policy didn't cover that.  I then tried with an in-network surgeon and got approved right away.  I went from RNY to DS with a BMI of around 50 to start.   Here is a link with their clinical policy bullitin on obesity surgery.   Under item III. (3) is the section under repeat bariatric surgery.  Good luck!   http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/100_199/0157.html

Lisa G.
on 8/12/11 2:34 am - Louisville (southern Indiana Actually), KY
I did not have any issues-my band was removed in Dec. 2009 and I am having the RNY on 08/29/11.  At first they thought I was having it revised/replaced, and that needed to be done within 2 years of the original surgery per their website and the doctors there.  Once they learned it was a complete new surgery, there was no problem.  I saw the doctor and was approved 2 days later.  Good luck!
   Sleep Tight, America
   PROUD ARMY MOM
   My Sons Have Your Back

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 9:35 am - PA
This has given me some great re-assurance.  I currently have the Realize Band and have had it slip 2X - and now the DR considers it to be a band malfuncion.  I've decided to go ahead with a revision surgery, but was unsure if the Insurance company would approve it. 

Good Luck!

Most Active