Heartbroken wife with defective LapBand/Bad Dr.

Mgilliam
on 8/10/11 12:06 am - OH
It breaks my heart to see what my wife had gone through and continues to go through .. She has a non-functioning band - self paid $13000 and has had another surgery to replace the port $3500..they lost the port that was suppose to be sent to Allergan for evaluation,so they had to refund that money ....it sometimes took his staff multiple -- 3,4 5, as many as 10 sticks to access her port for a fill and 3 years later she still has a leak .. Now he wants $6000 to do yet another surgery and replace this band ..  all she wanted was a chance to control her weight .. she was so happy to have the band and now is a complete emotional mess .  Dr. Curry could do the right thing and fix this ..why should  she go through another surgery , why should we pay even more money .. His last email to us sums it up  " remove and replace band $6000 ... remove band $3000..or LEAVE, don't come back and no fills $0"   WOW ..thinkhtat tells you what he wants her to do ... DO YOUR research , ask the right questions and find a Dr that backs his work .. not Dr. Curry

I cam curious about this revision..can anyone offer advice and recc. a Dr. in Cincinnati Ohio
Nic M
on 8/10/11 3:14 am, edited 8/10/11 3:20 am
The lapband is not a good WLS option, that's what it boils down to.  It's a money making procedure that works for very few of us.

Your wife would do well to find a different doctor and revise to another surgery, perhaps.

Good luck.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Ladytazz
on 8/10/11 8:35 am
Her best option would be to get rid of the band and revise to a sleeve.  It offers restriction without all the follow up.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Holly O.
on 8/11/11 7:10 am - FL
I was a self-pay for the lapband as well..........I put up with a lot for 4 1/2 yrs. 8 weeks ago I had a revision to the RNY.....I am down 37 lbs.  I never lost that kind of weight with the lapband.  Find a reputable doctor an consider a revision.  Best of luck!!
   Holly                                      
MsBatt
on 8/11/11 10:34 am
Yep, it's time to find a decent surgeon, get rid of the Band, and revise to something that actually WORKS. How much weight does she still have to lose?
Most Active