Scheduled for surgery this Monday...YEAH!!!

Cheryl J.
on 8/9/11 12:38 am
Having my RNY revised to ERNY this Monsay with Dr. Greenbaum. A little nervous, but anxious too! I'm also having my band removed. What a waste to have the band put on. Didn't do any good. Hopefully I will be on the losing side again!
alaja957
on 8/9/11 2:49 am
can you tell me what the ERNY is?  I have the RNY and my surgeon wants me to get a band.  did you get your band over the RNY bypass as a revision?
Cheryl J.
on 8/9/11 9:04 am
Yes I had gotten the band over my bypass. I had lap RNY in Dec 2001 and a band placed in Jan 2009 by Dr Marc Bessler. It caused me problems. You don't have fullness in your stomach like the bypass, you have fullness in your chest (very uncomfortable). Just not a natural feeling. Anyway, the ERNY is where your limb length is extended for more malabsorption. Michelle "Vitalady" is considered the "expert" about this procedure. Dr. Greenbaum uses the "Hess" method. Dr. Hess invented the DS. You can Google to get more info about Dr. Hess (don't want to give the wrong info).

I originally wanted to be revised to the DS, but Dr. Greenbaum is dead set against it for me because of my anatomy. He is considered one of the top surgeons for DS, but he said it would lead to lot more complications such as leakage. He said if I didn't get the band, I probably would be a good candidate for the DS, but because I had already had 1 revision and now doing another one it becomes riskier. I understood, and I feel lucky that he would perform surgery on me. Some doctors don't want to do anything because I already had 1 revision. For me, the band didnt do anything for me. And I'm also a lightweight. I'm about 50lbs overweight.
alaja957
on 8/9/11 10:49 am
thanks for the info.  my doctor is pushing the band over bypass and I was wondering if i could get a ds revision if the band didn't work. 
Cheryl J.
on 8/9/11 1:51 pm
That's the issue I was having. The band causes more scar tissue (adhesions) which makes the surgery more complicated and could cause leakage. When the band is placed, you will get some scarring, and then when it's removed that causes more scarring. Personally I would skip the band and go for the DS. I took a chance that the band over bypass (B.O.B) was a good choice. For me it was a bad mistake. I'm throwing up, chest pain, heartburn, etc. I can get pains from drinking, not even eating. My band is not even at it's tightest. But hey this is my experience. Some people do well with it, but BOB is much different than a virgin bandster. BOB's have pouches so the band is placed on something that is already small.

Anyway, I would do more research about people's BOB experience first. My BOB experience is horrible. Sorry I did it. I swear wished I knew more about the DS 2 years ago. I asked my BOB surgeon about the DS, but he said I wouldnt be compliant with taking the vitamins. Should had gotten a 2nd opinion. Please, please read about other people's experiences first. You will get the good and the bad. I did the same for the ERNY. I read about good experiences and the bad ones. These decisions aren't easy. I'm still nervous about going for yet another revision. Lord knows I don't want a fourth one. I'm hearing some people get the ERNY and then get a DS. So not good. I just have to pray! Good luck!
Most Active