Just saying Hi! New band to RNY revision planned!

Bako_Shell
on 8/6/11 5:19 am - CA
Hi, My name is Michelle.  I had lap band surgery 3/2007.  I lost a litle, but never was really able to eat like they told me I should be eatting.  I had a band slip three to four months ago, but didn't really know what it was...  I starting having awful acid reflux, had an upper gi and found out!  Had my band removed 8/20/11.  I immediately felt better!  I just last week got approved for RNY!  My surgery is scheduled for 9/2/11.  I am super excited!  Overall (with the band slippage and being on liquids for a couple of months plus the 4+ years with my lapband) I have lost about 70lbs from my highest!  I am grateful for that loss, but still have about 100lbs to lose!  Looking forward to getting started on this next step of my new life.  My new HEALTHY LIFE!
I have reading these forums everyday for the past few weeks, and over on Eggface's blog looking at recipes!
Happy Saturday to you all!
Cheryl N.
on 8/6/11 5:27 am - Des Moines, WA
HI! Congrats.  When did you have the band removed? bec it said 8/20/11.  do you mean 7/20 or 8/2/11? 

You will feel much better after the RNY, although the recovery is albeit harder but will get better!

My band failed me, for no reason.  My surgeon said my band looked good and in good position, just doesn't work for most people.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

sandy_mt
on 8/6/11 8:28 am, edited 8/5/11 8:31 pm
Michelle,

100 pounds is still a lot of weight to lose. Have you looked into a duodenal switch instead of the RNY? I had my RNY 11 years ago and regained almost all of my weight back and have now revised to the DS just about a month ago. I really wish someone would have advised me before I had my first surgery. Please do your research. The duodenal switch will give you the best chance of getting to goal and maintaining long-term weight loss. You may want to read some of the success stories on the DS board. Please message me if you have any questions.

Edited to add: I am assuming CA stands for California, not Canada. If so, there are some EXCELLENT DS surgeons in your state like Dr. Keshishian and Dr. Rabkin. Please do not settle for the RNY only because your surgeon does not perform the DS. Choose your surgery first, your surgeon second!

Sandy

Cheryl N.
on 8/6/11 2:44 pm - Des Moines, WA
 Please do not settle for the RNY only because your surgeon does not perform the DS.  Choose your surgery first, your surgeon second!

It also depends on your insurance coverage.  My insurance only covers the band and RNY.  Can't go outside insurance as they won't pay.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 11:47 am
I second what sandy said. Please also consider the duodenal switch.
Band to DS
on 8/6/11 12:06 pm, edited 2/3/12 10:26 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Most Active