Revision fears

stargazer12
on 8/4/11 1:06 am - AZ
I had a gastric bypass 19 years ago. No support, pre-counseling or post help. I t broke down 5 yrs later and I have lived with the pain and discomfort. Scheduled for a revision to a Roux en Y on 8/15. I originally was 315 lost 150lbs in 6 mos. Gained back to 250 and my weight has stayed 250-255 for the past 15 years. Unable to eat anything raw or any mest. I am now 64 and am nervous about whether this will correct my problems. How can you lose when you can't digest anything but carbs?
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/4/11 2:44 am
 Since many of the RNYs problems stem from having a stoma instead of your pyloric valve, I have to ask if you've considered a surgery that preserves and uses the pylorus? The DS is what many end up revising too, or even the sleeve, if you don't need malabsorption (although it sounds like you do).

There are only a handful of surgeons that can do that revision, and going to a surgeon that can't do a sleeve or DS revision will usually get you a band over bypass, or revised RNY (usually a ERNY). The few people I know with ERNYs, have not done well, and most have revised to the DS. The one who have not revised, have problems. 

I personally would never consider the ERNY, and here's why.

It combines the worst of both the RNY and DS, meaning you will have the extra malabsorbtion of the DS, making it very important that you get your supplements and nutrients, and yet, you will still have that pouch instead of a functioning stomach, leaving you withe the same food intolerances, and inability to eat the things you MUST, like protein and veggies. It will be even more important to eat them, and you'll be unable to.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, and just another person on a web board, but I have spent a few years reading all the studies that are available, and becoming involved in a WLS community that has all types of surgeries and revisions, and I wouldn't have the revised RNY for any reason.

I would invite you to the DS board to ask about this as well, since there are some folks there that have had both the RNY, then a revision of their RNY, then the DS.

stargazer12
on 8/4/11 3:13 am - AZ
The surgeon who is going to do the revision recommended the RNY. If I have too much scar tissue or any other problems occur then he will do a sleeve gastrectomy. I have had gall bladder/appendix surgery, hysterectomy, abdomnioplasty and renal cell carcinoma-rt kidney removed, so there has been a lot of abdominal surgery especially to the right side besides the original gastric stapling. The procedure will be attempted as laproscopic if possible and will be robotic. I think this plus the extensive x-rays are what has influenced his choice for me.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/4/11 5:27 am
 Dr Galvani does not do the DS, and will not recommend a surgery he can't provide. Too many people get surgery based on what the surgeons limitations are, or what insurance dictates, and that is often not what is best for us. Heck, WE have to live with it for the rest of our lives.

Considering the food issues you now have, you really need to talk to some others who have had RNY to RNY revisions, because you will have problems eating and absorbing protein and nutrients. You were asking yourself the right questions about not being able to eat much other than carbs, and with a revision, you won't get away with slider foods without serious repercussions to your health. Again, please talk to some who have had this same revision before you go under the knife. I really don't want to see you back here in a few years with much more serious problems than you have now.

stargazer12
on 8/6/11 12:25 am - AZ
Thanks for your comments. I also had consulted with doctors in Ca and MA. Only difference in recommendation was the odds of my surviving surgery!  I have decided things can't be much worse than they are now. Had my first surgery 19 years ago quite a distance from home so I decided to go with a doctor close by this time. Also my first gastric stapling was not and RNY.
teachmid
on 8/4/11 7:48 am - OKC, OK
I certain ly can empathize with what you've gone through. Others have addressed procedures; I'd like to comment on age.

I had my RNY in 1989 and had a revision to a DS last December when I was 62 with insulin dependent diabetes and hypertension. I was very nervous about the surgical risks. All went very smooth and my diabetes and hypertension along with all the prescription meds are gone.

Life is too short! At my age, I'm actually considering plastics next year.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active