Has anyone had this happen?

gi34le
on 7/27/11 7:43 am - Albuquerque, NM

I just had an EGD done on Monday so we could see what Revsion procedure would be best for me. I had the Gastric Bypass done in 2006 and had lost only about 80Ibs and have now gained 40Ibs back . I have not spoken to the my doctor yet, but he spoke to my husband after the procedure and told him my Stomach was to small and my intestine opening was too wide. 

Has anyone experienced this and if so what was the outcome. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Gina

MsBatt
on 7/27/11 12:27 pm
This hasn't happened to me, but I read about it every day---it's THAT common. Sometimes it's called a stretched stoma, or a 'blown' stoma. Unfortunately, there aren't any effective procedures for fixing this, long-term. There are things called the Rose procedure, Stomaphyx, sclerotherapy---but very, VERY few people report good results, and insurance rarely covers it.

I suggest you look into having your RNY revised to either a Sleeve or a DS, depending on your particular needs. HOWEVER---there are only a handful of surgeons capable of doing these particular revisions. Putting the poch back together with the remnant stomach in order to form a Sleeve is VERY tricky, as is sewing duodenal tissue.

I recommend you contact either Rabkin or Keshishian in CA.
gi34le
on 8/1/11 11:57 am - Albuquerque, NM
Appreciate the info. Thank You.
Gina

alaja957
on 7/28/11 1:46 am
My surgeon thinks that's what happened to my RNY.  The food doesn't stay in your pouch because the lower stoma is not holding it there like the pyloric valve of the stomach should and therefore you don't get full or are hungry all the time.  My doctor is suggesting a band over the bypass to re-create this restriction.  I would prefer just do do a DS but don't know if this is feasible. 

6/12/12 RNY to DS revision with Dr.Roslin

Most Active