XP- My revision friends...how are you losing (band to rny)??

Mary B.
on 7/26/11 4:49 am - Southern, MD
Just looking for a little encouragement from other revisions.

Im 11 months out from band to rny and down 70-73 pounds depending on what day it is. Havent lost anything in 3 months now.

Im at the point where now Im embarassed/ashamed to go for my follow up. Im feeling like Im trying everything and Im stuck just like before any surgery at all.

ANYONE else losing slow after revision ??????? Anyone???
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

TamaraL
on 7/26/11 10:09 am
I have lost 60 pounds with my revision and like you sorta stopped.  I do want to lose 30 more pounds.  I do exercise frequently.  Need to see how many calories I am getting. 

How many calories and protien are you getting in.  I think I am eating too many calories.

Tamara

Mary B.
on 7/26/11 10:12 pm - Southern, MD
Hey Tamara!

I tried upping my protein to a minimum of 100g per day. Doing that, upped my calories to close to 1500. I tried that as a change to see if the extra protein would do something. It didnt really do much.

Before that I was at 1200 a day with a minimum of 60-65 protein a day.

Right now my exercise basically consists of alot of walking in preparation for the 3 Day.

I use Sparkpeople to track. they have a great site and you can add vitamins and make any adjustments.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

TamaraL
on 7/27/11 12:21 am
I have had to really up my exercise and do different exercises.  I walk alot but I think our body gets used to walking and then doesn't burn as many calories.  Also as we lose our body doesn't burn as many calories.

When you had your revision what did you weigh and then what do you weigh now?? What weight do you want to get to?? Remember that drs office looks at percentage you have lost so you may be right on track.

I would change the exercise up definetly.  You might even try to up calories one day and then lower calories one day.  That helps some people.  I am threatening to go back to liquids myself. 

Tamara

topaz11
on 8/1/11 1:39 am
Tamara, Mary  I was reading yr post. As, you might have read about me, I too am in the process of getting a revision.  Other than the recent slow down you are having, are you still please with the RNY.  Or,  looking back . would you choose the RNY again or another revision?
To me, it  looks like you both are doing very well.  Just want to hear yr thoughts.  I am getting mixed feelings inside of me about the RNY AND SLEEVE.  I guess i am afraid of another failed surgery. Thanks

TamaraL
on 8/1/11 2:24 am
I was not a candidate for the sleeve because of esophagus problems and the severe heart burn that I had.  With the sleeve it can be worse or if you've never had heart burn you may get heart burn.

I would do my research on both. 

I honestly still fill like my revision to RNY is the best choice for me.  I dump and get very sick with sweets and high fat so I am careful when I eat those kinds of food. 

Did the band work for you??  Are you a volume eater, if so then the sleeve may be the best choice for you.  Do you eat high fat or sweets then the sleeve may not be the best choice for you. 

Only 30% of people dump on high fats and sweets so don't depend on the dumping or on the malabsorption.  There are people on the board that believe you only get malabsorption for the first 18 months of food but a lifetime of malabsorption with the vitamins.

The sleeve you get to keep your intestines intact but they literrally cut off part of your stomach to make your stomach look like a banana.  My concern is that with the sleeve there has been no long term results like there has been with the RNY.

I would also find out if your insurance covers the sleeve and talk intensively with your surgeon before choosing.

Tamara

topaz11
on 8/1/11 3:46 am, edited 8/1/11 3:46 am
I understand more clearly now.  Thanks Tamara!  I do have severe reflux. The issue that I have with carbs began with the band. Normally ,I would have describe myself as a volume eater. However I have had so many issues with the band soft foods became my friend. TOO many of the high cal carbs. JUST TO SLIDE DOWN. I have trouble just swallowing water. NOW that most of the fills are out ,it is better,  but  still, everything feels like a rock going down.

Band to DS
on 8/1/11 9:34 am, edited 2/3/12 10:19 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

topaz11
on 8/1/11 10:05 am

That is good Shelli. Has your papers been sent to insurance yet?      Best wishes to you!               I have an appt in the morning and one next week. then off to insurance.

Most Active