Had revision, Sprung a LEAK!!! Help!!!!

sherry G.
on 7/25/11 9:41 pm - MA
 had my original bypass in august of 2000. I had to have a revision because I had a ruptured staple line, a hernia on my esophogus, and erosion at the suture line of the pouch and small intestine. I had the revision done by a renowned surgeon in Boston in Feb 2011. The risks of leaks are common with revisions and sure enough I developed a leak the day after surgery that put me back in surgery to correct it then again the next day another surgery to correct the still leaking leak which put me in ICU for a day. I was then in the hospital for 2 1/2 months for observation because there was still a little leakage. On April 6, 2011 my surgeon felt it was safe to open me back up and go in and he re did the bypass and close up all the issues. I stayed in the hospital until April 23, 2011. I did come home with an open abdominal wound which needs to still be packed twice a day until it closes. The reason it is open is because they had to open a portion of the incision because of fluid under  the skin, also quite common but a pain in many ways. So needless to say I am 6 months on this revision journey and still healing my wound and getting more discouraged and depressed. I just need it to be done. MY QUESTION IS (finally LOL) : I started having a heavy painful feeling in my pouch that feels like a heavy bloated overful feeling so on one of my post op visits a month ago I told my surgeon and he sent me for a cat scan which showed a small leak with a small amount of fluid at the suture line of the pouch and small intestine. I don't understand too much but it sounded like the pain I am feeling is the pressure on my diaphragm from the leak/fluid. He didnt seem overly concerned but did say if the pain got severe or a fever developed to come right to the emergeny room. It can be normal and should dissolve as i heal. Well I am so uncomfortable and am planning on calling my doctors office today to tell them I still feel awful. My next appointment is next week Aug 4, 2011. I want to know if anyone else has had this experience and if so if they could share their story with me. Thanks for listening!
UPDATE: I spoke to my surgeons office and they are going to have me get another cat scan and blood drawn to see if the leak has gotten bigger and I guess to compare it to the one done  previously. I live an hour away so they figured if I could hold on I could do it all the same day as the appt but if I develope the fever or pain worsens to come right up thru the E.R.  Just curious if anyone else had this and how long it takes to heal or what the options are to correct it.  Thanks so much for reading this long post! Frustrated and scared!
Lori F.
on 7/26/11 3:03 pm - Chula Vista, CA
Can't help at all but good luck!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
justjudy
on 7/28/11 6:22 am - Canton, MI
My sister had very similar cir****tances post RNY and it took her months to heal.  I hope you get answers quickly and are on the mend.  Let us know how you are.

Judy

Most Active