New to board RNY to BOB (probably) or DS (I wish)

heathercross
on 7/29/11 9:43 am - New York, NY
Hi. I am a BOBster. I had my RNY in 2002, lost 130 lbs, gained back 65 and decided to research a revision. Wanted a Band,  too scared of all the complications to do a revision and didnt want any part of a DS, major surgery, stomach removal, etc.  Plus, I only have/had 65lbs to lose. 

I have my Band put in on 6/23. 1 day procedure, walked home next day. Im down 26lbs, I feel great. I know Dr. Roslin, he was going to do my Band but (at the time) Lenox Hill wasnt a bariatic center of excellance with Aetna.  Instead, I used Dr. Kurian at NYU, Al Rokers surgery.  I love Dr Roslin, as I've known him close to 10 yrs (had RNY at Lenox Hill yrs ago).  Make the decision that is right for you.  Dont let all these DSers scare you and push you towards a DS. Talk to a dtr and see if a RNY-RNY is right or a RNY-Band will work.  For me, and many others, a RNY to a DS is a very dangerous procedure (my RNY was open).

Good Luck.

Heather
[email protected]

alaja957
on 7/29/11 10:08 am
Heather thank you so much for your post.  I just feel so torn right now.  I was convinced after meeting with the surgeon that BOB would be safest. its local, and my family could be with me.  I am just not sure I am ready to take on the possible complications of the DS despite the number of people here who are pro-DS.  . 
heathercross
on 7/29/11 10:50 am - New York, NY
I know a few dozen bobsters on here, you can check out the lap band forumn. My one suggestion, your surgery is personal to you. Make the decision after researching all options and what is best for you and your family. While I know you may only be joking "vote" pls don't let me or anyone else persuade you into anything until you have done your research. Also, pls check to se what your insurance company covers as that will dictate a lot. Good luck.
alaja957
on 7/29/11 10:14 am
oh and whats and rny to rny revision?
Lisa N.
on 8/3/11 2:21 pm - Williston Park, NY
 I had an RNY to a RNY revision last Nov with Dr. Roslin.  With the way my first RNY was done, the pouch was made too low. I wasn't a candidate for a DS or Sleeve.  It also had something to do with the staple line from the first surgery.  

During my surgery, everything had to be redone.  New pouch, new stoma, some of my intestine was removed, and the other portion of my stomach was removed.  It was a long surgery and the recovery was difficult.  But I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I felt that this surgery was the best for me.  You have to do all of your research and go with the surgery that you are most comfortable with.
   Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 5:18 am - San Jose, CA
FYI, you are the second person I have heard that Roslin has told has a "pouch made too low" - whatever that means.  I've never heard of such a thing said by anyone else.  And the other person was told by Keshishian that he saw NO problem with converting her to a DS, despite what Roslin said.
randy S.
on 8/16/11 6:28 am - brooklyn, NY
I was just thinking the same thing diana. Wow!!!
Judi J.
on 8/4/11 1:04 am - MN
how would the BOB help the stretched out stoma? I don't get that as a solution at all.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/4/11 2:00 am
 He told me the RNY to DS is "experimental, dangerous, and complicated"

For HIM, is it, because he can't do them, and never send a paying customer away!

See a surgeon that actually has the skills to do any surgery, and don't bother with something that will likely result in another failure. Good luck.

TheresaG
on 8/16/11 3:41 am - Midland, MI
I just went for a consultation with a surgeon in MI and he told me the same thing about RNY to DS.  He also does the BOB and has had very high success rates, finding that many of his patients are more successful then they were from original RNY.  I am waiting to hear from BCBS about approval and hope to have the revision sometime this fall. 
Most Active