New to board RNY to BOB (probably) or DS (I wish)

alaja957
on 7/26/11 1:16 am
Hello everyone.  I had RNY in Rochester, NY March 2008. 
Highest weight: 357
Day of surgery: 317
Lowest post op: 257 Aug 2009
Current: 309

I am so confused and I am trying to do my research.  Dr. O'Malley did my RNY and when I went back to discuss my regain they basically said "sucks to be you, our surgery's don't fail, it must be you."

I started researching revision and my doctor did a referral to Dr. DiBenedetto also in Rochester who is doing BOB revisions and told me he has had about a dozen patients from Dr. O'Malley who have had a stretched out lower stoma and that BOB has worked for them all because it returns the restriction that the RNY should have retained.  He told me the RNY to DS is "experimental, dangerous, and complicated" I currently have an upper GI and and upper endoscopy scheduled with them to find out what might be going on.

I have also called Dr. Roslin in NYC and I have the number to attend a seminar but I live in Rochester and traveling to the city is going to be costly for me and not that easy but I fear that the DS is really the gold standard of revision.

So please board members give me your input.  I want to know the good and the bad. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/11 3:08 am
hmmm... you had RNY ... it did not work for you... so you are going with a band... that may fail by itself... ? (mechanical device) and you will eb in the same place you are now...

if that would be me I would try my best to get DS...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy_Kleve
on 7/26/11 5:10 am - Adrian, MN
FIGHT for the DS! Good luck!!!
Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

airbender
on 7/26/11 8:34 am
there are many many people who traveled for their wls, DS, I had to fly for mine, having it done in the same state would seem like a cake walk.  there are people who fly from one coast to the other, out of the country etc. there are only a handful of rny to ds sugeons out there.   Dr Roslin is a superb surgeon, you would be very fortunate if he would take you on as a patient.    the dr who told you rny to ds is experimental, dangerous and complicated is a fool.  complicated yes, and he doesn't do it so that is why he is telling you that, but it is your best option.....post on the DS board there are many many rny to ds revisions there
Lisa N.
on 7/26/11 10:47 am - Williston Park, NY
 I had my revision surgery with Dr. Roslin.  I went from an RNY back to an RNY. He is the top revision surgeon and you would  be in great hands.  During my pre-op visits he never made me feel like it was my fault.  I would highly recommend him.
   Lisa
adnerb
on 7/26/11 10:49 am
Hello! You are doing the right thing by doing your research! I agree with all the above posts. You should definitely post this on the DS board as well. Me and you are in the same boat...but I am sure that placing a band in there would be asking for more problems down the road. One of the doctors I checked with who does put on the bands said the bands have a 50% failure rate. That is not what I want to deal with. I will be following your progress as well since we both are checking into revisions and prayers for you to find what works best for you too! Keep us posted!
Lori F.
on 7/26/11 10:59 am - Chula Vista, CA
NO BAND. Some people can't tolerate it. Many people have complications. It doesn't work in many other cases (see my signature). The band itself is a mechanical device...it can cause more problems than you need. Go for the DS.
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
MsBatt
on 7/26/11 2:47 pm
He lied.

The truth is that revising an RNY to a DS requires a LOT of surgical skill, whereas placing a Band over an existing stoma is something pretty much any surgeon can do. He wants you to choose this so you will remain his patient and give him your money.

There are only a handful of surgeons who are comfortable putting the pouch and the remnant stomach back together, then forming a Sleeve. And sewing duodenal tissue is also difficult---you want an EXPERT for this. I'd recommend Gagner, Roslin, Rabkin, or Keshishian in North America.
alaja957
on 7/27/11 9:17 am
Dr. Roslin would be my first choice.  I am so frustrated because now my family wants me to do the BOB becasue it sounds less scary. 

6/12/12 RNY to DS revision with Dr.Roslin

Shavonne P.
on 7/28/11 6:57 am
Your story sounds like mine.  I went to original RNY surgeon with my concerns about the weight gain and basically told me "oh well, you are just going to be overweight. go see a nutritionist".

Thats when I started researching Dr Roslin.  I live in Albany, NY - so I had to travel, but it was worth it.  I had my RNY to DS revision early June.
Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
Most Active