Insurance required pre-op diet

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 3:09 am
I had my band removed on 7/14.  Now I need to start a three-month supervised diet before I can be revised.  I did not have to do that before I had the band.  My question is, my BMI is right at 40 with no comorbidities.  The nurse at my doctor's office said I have to be very careful not to fall below 40 BMI or insurance will not cover the revision.  She said the supervised diet is a joke since we have all been on numerous diets in our lifetimes.  I totally agree.  I could write a book on dieting!  Anyway, what if I lose?  What if I gain?  How does the supervised diet work?  I know I have to meet with the dietician every month, but do I have to keep a food journal or what?

Also, when my doctor's office submits the paperwork for the revision and there has to be "proof" that I was compliant with the band as far as eating and excercising, how do I or they provide that "proof"?  Isn't it just my word of what I did as far as eating and exercising?  I went to the gym sometimes, but lots of times just walk around where I live and ride my bike.  How do you prove that? 

I lost about 60 pounds with the band, only from throwing up all the time.  Then I had to have an emergency unfill because I couldn't even keep water down.  Since then, it's been fill, unfill, fill, unfill with the same vomiting all the time.  I'm back to my preband weight.  My doctor finally said it had to come out.  I feel so much better now.  I have BCBS Federal, which my docotor's office said is the best to work with, so I'm hopeful I will be approved after I go through all the requirements agian.
Hislady
on 7/23/11 6:02 am - Vancouver, WA
I'd suggest getting a written list of requirements from the ins. co. and ask them what they need in the way of verification so you know just what you need. Usually they go by your beginning weight for BMI but yeah I wouldn't work too hard at losing. Best of luck to you!
airbender
on 7/23/11 8:14 am
so this is one requirement insurance cos have that is so ridiculous.  i mean is the dr suppossed to be there watching what you eat?  every meal?  it is just  so ridiculous and is not every a NIH requirement.  be careful with the bmi, that is a place they can get you....
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 2:20 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Do this: eat what you want.

Keep a separate food journal outlining a 1200 calorie a day diet.

Submit that monthly to your doctor, when you go for your weigh-ins.

We all know the diet requirement is a joke, and it's done by the insurance companies to delay things in the hope that you'll change your mind. If you fall below it'll give them the opportunity to deny you, too. Due to the failure of your band, they should have covered this without requiring the diet.
Band to DS
on 7/23/11 11:59 pm, edited 2/3/12 10:09 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 2:17 am
Thanks for the replies!  I totally agree this is nonsense.  My dr's office said most ins. companies are now requiring a six-month diet.  Crazy!!!  I like the idea of keeping a separate food journal.  Two can play at this game!
Duck_Girl
on 7/24/11 8:10 am
Yep I played this game too when I was getting my lapband..

eat what you want, journal what they want. get approved......

Luckily with my revision they didn't make me do anything and I was under a 35 BMI. Every insurance is different though of course. Get their requirements in writing.

Most Active