Lap Band revision to RNY or Sleeve??

Dreamofpeace
on 7/18/11 6:59 am - Rochester, MN
I'll be getting a revision done soon and need to decide whether to go for the sleeve or RNY.    This last weekend I was in the ER and my band has to come out regardless of what I do so hopefully they can take that out and revise at the same time.  The surgeon I saw said he doesn't even put bands in anymore and just takes them out because they haven't worked for most people.   He gave the options of the sleeve or RNY and said he'd definitely prefer the RNY over the sleeve because it has the longest record for being successful.  But, he said the sleeve is an option and if it didn't work then I could do the RNY surgery in the future.   Can you please give me some insight?   I'm reading everything I can about both but really want to make the right decision this time.
Amy_Kleve
on 7/18/11 9:37 am - Adrian, MN
Who is your surgeon?
Have you ever thought of the DS? I originally wanted revision from band to RNY, but after I did my research I definitely wanted the DS and would NOT settle for RNY!
I'm going to the University of Minnesota, my surgeon is Dr. Buchwald in Minneapolis. I'm driving from SW Minnesota, 4 hours, to get this revision.

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Dreamofpeace
on 7/18/11 12:45 pm - Rochester, MN
I haven't read anything about the DS but I guess I should.   My surgeon the first time was Dr. Que at Mayo Clinic in Rochester.  But she's on medical leave so I'll have one of the other surgeons there.  I live in Rochester and have Mayo insurance so I hope to stay here.  I'll have to mention it....thanks.
Lori F.
on 7/18/11 2:45 pm - Chula Vista, CA
 Please read up on the DS. There aren't many who do the DS for revisions but it's easy to get help on these boards for your state and insurance. RNY after band does not seem to be as effective as the DS. Check it out for sure!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
airbender
on 7/18/11 7:55 pm
be very careful when you go to a surgeon who doesn't do all wls as s/he will only advise you on what they perform, you do have other options besides rny and sleeve.  do yourself a favor  and research ALL wls not just those two or you will be like many who instead of revising once will revise 2-3xs....choose wisely, research well.....
amm0082
on 7/19/11 5:24 am - TX
I just had my revision from lap band o RNY on Saturday and my surgeon told me the exact same thing yours did in regards to the other choices. He has been doing bariatric surgeries for over 20 years and quit doing lap band surgey 3 years ago due to all the complications that are popping up with lap bands. Anyways, I'm very happy with the choice I've made. Good luck in your decision.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRJHiUw/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wRJHiUw/blk-weight.png">>

Stacey-71
on 7/19/11 11:28 pm - OH
I too revised from the band, (placed in 2008)! I had originially wanted VSG, but my surgeon felt I would do better with RNY taking into account my comorbidities and eating habits. I took her advice and have done well! I am so thankful to be finished with the band!! Do your research and listen to your surgeon's advice and good luck with making your decision!  Getting the band out is a step in the right direction!

USAF Wife
on 7/19/11 11:57 pm
I revised from the band to VSG over 2 years ago. Best decision I ever made. I lost 138lbs in 10.5 months with VSG alone that put me around 20lbs below my initial goal, and I maintained that loss for  a year until my current pregnancy weight has crept in.

I fought to have VSG because RNY was not an option, and DS was definitely off the table because I know myself well enough to know that I would not adhere to the stringent vitamin regimen for either of the malabsorptive procedures. Mainly with RNY, the number of patients looking to revise their RNY for one reason or another was far too high for my comfort level. Add in the food and medication restrictions with RNY pouch was not an option. Plus, I had a pouch with the band, and least to say, that thing sucks. I really love VSG and have had great success. I also do not diet, eat anything and everything I want, and regardless of any other opinions, you really have to choose the best surgery that you live with for the rest of your life. That was my thought process going into my revision.

There are tons of band to VSG people on the VSG forum. We tend to hang out there more than any other forums. If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

smileyjamie72
on 7/21/11 9:41 am - Palmer, AK

The sleeve is the first part of the DS.  Just in case you did not know that.
Researching & asking questions is always GOOD, and you have gotten very good responses on this thread!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Dreamofpeace
on 7/21/11 10:11 am - Rochester, MN

Update:  

I met with my surgeon today and also brought up the DS surgery.  He said he would gladly do that as well and gave me some of the pros/cons of that, RNY and the sleeve.  He said it is up to me and I will meet with my endocrinologist in the next few weeks to get her outlook as well.  Right now I'm leaning towards the DS and surgery is aimed for the 3rd week in August!  Thanks so much for all of the responses:)

Most Active