How long do I have to wait to revise?

Rose03
on 7/18/11 10:59 am
 I had a band placed about 2 months ago. No one mentioned that reflux could get worse with the band. In fact, my GI doc recommended that I do the band because it would hlep my reflux. 
I had esophageal spasms, and terrible reflux. I'm having phantom pains in my sides and between my shoulder blades. 
How long do I have to keep this thing in me before I can revise? 
It's sad really, I did months and months of research, but I think my body is rejecting the band. I've been on full fluids for several weeks. This has become a nightmare!
I would like to get it out before it damages my esophagus. 
How long is reasonable before I ask for a revision? 
Any ideas?
Duck_Girl
on 7/18/11 12:30 pm
I definately am not a doctor but I had my band for 3.5 years before revising and that pain sounds like gas pain from surgery.

My insurance Aetna required 2 plus years with the band and documented successful attempts at weight loss.

airbender
on 7/18/11 8:12 pm
esphogeal damage has been know with the band since 2001 when the FDA gave it's conditional approval.  anyone who has reflux and gets the band is asking for a disasterous time, any fills will worsen that, and there is miles and miles of journals on that, dating back many many years, not just recent.   saying that you are only 8 weeks out?  you must have just got a fill, to have issues with the band and have no fill is not normal, you could be experiencing PO issues and need to adjust to the band.  silicone has a very low "rejecting" issue, throughout any part of the body, if you have decided in your head you don't like the thing, psychologically then no matter what you do it will never work for you.  insurance co will need a reason why you want to revise?  what is the medical necessity?  if you have no testing (UGI, endo) to show damage, medical necessity a revision will not be in order, nor will an explant.....good luck to you in your journey
Sexyvt123
on 7/18/11 9:44 pm
Hi

I advise you to do it now.  My friend had her band put in and 8 months later she revised.  The insurance did not give her no problems to take the band out and revise because she had just had the surgery.  She didnt have to do 6 month diet or any of that nonsense.  She just was not happy with the band and it gave her bad reflux.  Call your insurance and see what will happen.  I would do it now and not wait until they start saying you have to do the whole process over. 

Rose03
on 7/18/11 11:41 pm
 Thank you all for advice! 

Can you still have gas from surgery for 2 months? I dind't know that. 

I have not had any fills because they don't want to increase the pressure on the esophagus. These spasms started just after I left the recovery room. A nurse gave me ice water to drink. (the surgeon said, "WHY are you dringing ice water?!?!?!?" yelling at me! I said "the nurse gave it to me!!" I had violent dry heaves, the worst I've ever had. I went home, and every day, I've had these pains. Initially, I was on percocet, and as soon as that kicked in, they stopped. After I stopped percocet, that's when the pain persisted. 

I went from clears to full fluids to puree, to soft foods for 2 meals, back to full liquids and have been on full liquids since. 

I read that esophageal damage can occur, but the research I found and was given suggested that it wasn’t immediate. That it occurred later and was somewhat rare. There is so much research out there and so much contradicts other research, that no one really seems to have a good picture of what goes on.

I would like the band to work, but this experience has made me fearful of what will happen. I don’t want to have permanent damage from this thing. It was presented that I could have it removed if it gave me trouble. But I don’t know what will constitutes “medical necessity" in this case. Is it that I have to have damage? Or is not being able to eat and having pain every day “medical necessity"?

I will have to check my policy to determine some of this it seems. I get very frustrated with the insurance companies, you are told one things by the “customer service" people, but then, sometimes you find out that they were not accurate! 

If anyone knows what can justify medical necessity, I appreciate it if you let me know.

Thanks again!!

Sexyvt123
on 7/19/11 5:25 am
I say call them now and have your Dr start the paper work for revision A.S.A.P. 

Most Active