Surgery failure is never your fault!

Cheryl N.
on 7/17/11 4:14 pm - Des Moines, WA
I was at the OH event Fri and Sat.  It was really good.

I went to the break up group and I picked revision since I'll be having a revision surgery two weeks from today!!! 

Anyway, the surgeon who was talking about the revision said that the failure is not our fault, the procedure wasn't just right for us.  He also said second surgeries are often more successful than the first surgery.

I have notes, but it's in the bag and i will post more later.

Just wanted to share that he said its not our fault especially if the lapbanders who has successful results who doesn't really understand the complications we are experiencing, blaming it on US instead of the mechanical failure.

Not our fault that the surgery failed us does not apply only to lapbands but others as well.

I felt better after attending that seminar although the attendance to this one was very low!! 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Duck_Girl
on 7/17/11 8:06 pm
I really wish I could have made that seminar... i however was recovering from revision! HAHA 

Thats awesome to hear that they are standing up for us. I would love to see your notes when you have time to post them.

I wish I had the transcript to send to the first surgeon who wouldnt revise me..

Cheryl N.
on 7/17/11 10:30 pm - Des Moines, WA

Hey!  How are you feeling? I see you revised from band to RNY?  What issues did you have? 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Duck_Girl
on 7/18/11 12:17 am
On July 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM Pacific Time, Cheryl N. wrote:

Hey!  How are you feeling? I see you revised from band to RNY?  What issues did you have? 

Hello, I am feeling amazing. I am actually getting ready to leave for my 1 week post op follow up this morning. I feel fine with all day to day activities... I just cannot bend to touch the floor.

I revised from the band that was placed in 2008. I will make it short and sweet for you.

~Placed band 4/08
~3 fills over 2 years
~Sweetspot found 4/10
~Band slip 1/11
~Band slip 4/11
~Surgeon wouldnt revise. She would only replace the band. I dumped her

~Found new surgeon and within 3 weeks had my revision from LB to RNY :) 

The slippage was for unknown reasons as my last fill was 4/2010 and I was totally fine until 1/11 when I couldnt even swallow my own saliva. I didnt have vomiting episodes or anything until this point so this was NOT my fault. I had lost 113 pounds with the band and was very compliant.

Amy_Kleve
on 7/18/11 9:39 am - Adrian, MN
Thanks for this post!
I wish I could have gone to this seminar as well

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Most Active