VANGUARD BAND TO RREALIZE BAND

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 7:15 am - ewing, NJ
Hello all I have been to a new surgeon  with hopes of getting band removed (because stomach pouch over band is enlarged) causes a lot of vomiting and heartburn. I have had my original band since 2005 the new surgeon says maybe I should consider the Realize band because its smaller and they can reposition it in a higher place!! I had in my mind that I want the sleeve but he says that its more riskier doing another surgery because of poss leakage and scar tissue. I really am not sure what to do. He wants to see me again in two weeks and take a look at the band under the Xray again!!! Can someone please let me know if you have ex this. I am 10lbs away from my pre op weight and its slowly rising. I am becoming depressed and i hate the current band that I have.........Help!!!!!
mallrat
on 7/7/11 7:49 am - St Peters, MO
My advice to you is to go with the sleeve.  Sounds like the doc you are going to is pushing the band.  I had 2 bands, both of which slipped.  I think once you have a problem with a band, you are more likely to have problems with the second one.  I thought like you, with the second band, that it was newer and  a better design and that I might not have problems, but within 10 months it slipped like the first one.  I had a revision to the sleeve last August and couldnt be happier.  Its so much better than the band.   It does what the band is supposed to do.  You get restriction , but dont have to deal with fills and unfills and vomitng and heartburn.   Your doctor is right ,you wil have scar tissue from the band, because thats what holds the band is place, but that doesnt mean you cant get a sleeve.  I had a lot of scar tissue after having 2 bands and was still able to get my second band taken out and be revised to the sleeve in one surgery.  Just make sure that the surgeon is experienced in band to sleeve revisions.  There is always the possibility that they might not be able to do the sleeve at the same time as they remove your band and you would have to go back to have the sleeve done.  My surgeon told me this might happen and luckily, I was able to get done in one surgery. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 7:55 am - ewing, NJ
Thats what I figured that he is just pro band!!!! He did say it may be more scar tissue because of previous band. Then after we finished meeting today he asked me again about what surgery I would revise to?? So when I go back he wants to look at the band one more time with 1cc inside of it. But I def dont want the band again. Then he says that because my BMI isnt that high and I only need to loose about 7olbs then I shoud reconsider the band....But I am def pressing the issue that I m finished with the crapband!!!!!!!!
mallrat
on 7/7/11 8:19 am - St Peters, MO
My BMI wasnt that high when I was revised to the slleeve.   I weighed 214 lbs, so I also had about 70 lbs to lose.  I am currently around 155, would like to lose 10-15 more lbs.   If he is pushing the band, it could be that he has not done many band to sleeve revisions, if any, and is not comfortable doing them.  If he is not experienced at revsions, I would look for another doctor who is willing to do your revision to the sleeve, if that is what you really want.  A more experienced revision surgeon is less likely to have complications like leaks.  I would have gotten the sleeve instead of my second band, but at the time my insurance company wasnt covering the sleeve.  Luckily, by the time I was ready to have the second band taken out, they were covering the slleeve, and because I had so many problems with the 2 bands, i did not have any trouble getting approved for the revision.  I just know from my experience with getting the second band, it was not a good experience.  Even before it slipped, I wasnt happy with it, because the weight just was not coming off like it had with the first band.  I think I may have lost 20 lbs, in the 10 months I had it before it slipped.  Good luck when you go back to see your doctor, but dont let him push you into having another band that you dont want.
Hislady
on 7/7/11 8:20 am - Vancouver, WA

From what I've read here over the last 4 yrs. I've been here, once you have issues with a band it is best NOT to go with yet another one. I seriously would insist on the sleeve if that is what you want. Don't let him talk you in to another band. The sleeve is a far better and more effective surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 12:13 pm - Bayonne, NJ
See another surgeon immediately!
Stacey-71
on 7/7/11 11:20 pm - OH

I revised from the band to RNY. I had my band back in 2008. I am soooo thankful I revised and would not recommend you do another band. It was such a waste of my time!! I could have been losing weight 3 yrs ago!!! Instead of being miserable with two slips and all the nasty complications that go along with that!  I would def. investigate the sleeve and find a surgeon who has done band to sleeve revisions! Don't let your current surgeon talk you into something you do not want! It's not worth it!
Best of Luck!

airbender
on 7/9/11 5:30 am
find the nearest exit sign and go through it.  megaesophagus will not get better but will worsen with any band, realize, lap band etc.  Once pressure is put on the LES and you start to have complications that will NOT go away with another band.  your surgeon is right, if you have band complications (erosion) they carry the highest risks to revise to a VSG, but there are things you can do to minimize this.... i had to have my 2nd band removed and heal for months as NO ONE would touch me unless I had it removed and I healed for at least 6 monhts.  Even that my revision was like "stapling wet tissue paper" and I am amazed I didn't have a leak PO.  I would suggest to stay away from antoher band, I had 3 band surgeries, due to irreversible esophogeal damages etc.  Once complications start there is no hold back the flood gates, no matter what you do there will be no getting away from it, as band complications increase linearly over time-I had mine for 8 years..... think again about getting another band, of any sort....I wish you luck with your revision....
Most Active