RNY revision possibilities

chicadee
on 6/28/11 3:02 am - CT
I posted this over on the VerticalSleeveTalk forum but am hoping the folks here might have more info. I am looking for information about  or experienced doctors who can revise the RNY to possibly a sleeve.  I see a lot of posts here mention converting to a DS and I don't know much about that.  I had the VSG just 2 months ago.

I am asking for my Aunt who had a RNY back in 2000 and would like to find out more information about a possible conversion. She would be willing to travel anywhere if they can help her. For the last 11 years she is in pain every time she eats. She has been told that her pouch was done incorrectly and she has almost like a sink trap curve so things have to go uphill before they go down and food gets stuck/caught. I don't know all of the specifics of it. She has been taking prescription narcotics for the last 8 years to ease the pain from eating so she can have a regular meals, otherwise she has to puree everything.

Yesterday was the first time I have talked to her since my Sleeve. Even though I see her always on holidays picking at her plate and taking liquid meds during the meal, I just didn't know the full extent of her issues until we talked today. She has been seen by Bariatric doctors here in CT in the past and they have all said there was nothing they could do, I don't believe she has talked to anyone recently. If there is even a slim chance that a Dr. can help her she would like to at least talk to them.

Thanks for any info.
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 1:18 pm
Here is a paper on the revision of RNY to DS www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-op eration.pdf

I would suggest you post on the DS forum and research the ds at www.dsfacts.com

Note that this revision can be done regardless of her BMI. Even if she does not have weight to lose, the DS can be done for maintanence. I had this revision 2.5 months ago, and I no longer puke my brains out.
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 1:28 pm
 Your Aunt may want to contact Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale CA. He is just about the best at fixing problems connected with RNYs.

Good Luck to your Aunt.
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 4:38 pm
heathercross
on 6/28/11 11:26 pm - New York, NY
The best Bariatric doctor in the US is in NYC, Dr. Mitchell Roslin.  Check him out. His number is 212.434.3285 http://www.nycbariatrics.com/default.  He isnt my doctor but have known him for 10yrs. He is/was in the practice with my original RNY doctor and I saw him for my revision.  He does everything possible and is world reknown.
chicadee
on 7/2/11 8:49 am - CT
 Thank you all for the information.  I will pass it along.  It's greatly appreciated.  I will do some more searching here as well.

For reference she doesn't need to lose any more weight she just wants to live normally going forward.
Most Active