REVISION APPROVED! RNY to DS! (x-post)

sandy_mt
on 6/24/11 4:14 am
 I didn't really have to do any testing to qualify.  I think, though, the type of revision he will do depends on how much weight regain you have.  I had about 90 percent weight regain with a 51 BMI, so obviously that itself was enough.  There were a couple of other women there that I sat with for the nutritionist's spiel with whom he was only going to do the sleeve on them, not the intestinal part.  They weren't as big as I was.  I think he takes it case by case.  He is a huge advocate of pyloric preservation and he has done a lot of research on that.  Actually, he did request that I have an upper GI series before I saw him for the consult and to bring the disk with me.  I had already had all of  my medical records and the results from the study I was in discussing my anatomy, etc.  Coming from Cleveland, I wanted to have everything with me at the same time. 

I did, however, particpicipate in an endoscopic suturing trial several years back that confirmed a very dilated anastomosis.  I'm not sure what he will want from you--probably an upper endoscopy or an upper GI to view your anatomy.  Don't take my word on that though!

I am also doing my preops here ,and then I need to see him on Friday 7/8 and then have the surgery on 7/11.  A weekend in NYC with my hubby, whatever will we do?????     

Keep me posted!!!!
Sandy
jlflbf
on 6/24/11 4:20 am - Shore Area, NJ
Hi Sandy,
Thanks for the reply :) have a great time in NY and i'll keep you in my prayers for your surgery.
I will keep you posted on my progress...hopefully it will go quickly :)
native2u
on 6/24/11 1:27 am - Merritt Island, FL
Sandy....

I haven't been "back" online with this forum in over a year. I'm curious, why are you going from RNY to DS? (I'm asking cause my RNY was 3/09 and I'm really sick right now with nausea & vomiting for 9 months)

Thanks! Oh and Congrats!!
sandy_mt
on 6/24/11 4:29 am
 Native2u-

Sounds like you are having very different concerns than me.  I honestly never had any problems after my RNY.  In fact, it got too easy....rarely any dumping, etc.  Eventually my anastamosis dilated up to 3 cm and nothing sits in my pouch long enough to get a full feeling.  I was always hungry and therefore ate often.  Depression set in and my old eating habits took over.  Have you had any testing  (upper GI, EGD)?  

Sandy
native2u
on 6/24/11 4:56 am - Merritt Island, FL
Sandy-

I've had every test known to man done and they all come back "normal", but yet I'm still losing the food & water that I drink. My pouch decides what it wants to keep and what it was to "let go of" and almost 99% comes back. I had no issues at all with my WLS until 9 months ago.

(Before my issue at hand) and still, I'm VERY, VERY sugar & fat sensitive. I will "dump" on 5 grams, and sometimes less than that.

sandy_mt
on 6/24/11 5:48 am
 Have you considered consulting a surgeon about revising to a sleeve?  Not a full-blown DS, but the sleeve to get your pylorus valve back?  I really wish I knew more about the importance of pylorus preservation back when I got my RNY, but back in 2000, there weren't a lot of people who had it, or a forum such as this with so many personal experiences.  I don't know if this would solve your problem or not, and I certainly don't know everything that you've researched or tried, so please forgive me if I come across wrong!  

Sandy
native2u
on 6/24/11 6:33 am - Merritt Island, FL
On June 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM Pacific Time, sandy_mt wrote:
 Have you considered consulting a surgeon about revising to a sleeve?  Not a full-blown DS, but the sleeve to get your pylorus valve back?  I really wish I knew more about the importance of pylorus preservation back when I got my RNY, but back in 2000, there weren't a lot of people who had it, or a forum such as this with so many personal experiences.  I don't know if this would solve your problem or not, and I certainly don't know everything that you've researched or tried, so please forgive me if I come across wrong!  

Sandy
Honestly, I haven't talked to anyone about revising me. Just a couple of Dr's have, but that is as far as it went.

I don't even know anything about "plyorus valve", you aren't alone.
Most Active