I should be happy what happened?

pandavenise
on 6/19/11 6:17 am
 I have my revision date Aug 29th from lap band to RNY. It has been a hard decision and I am still scared and wondering. What I am finding the most suprise is that all of a sudden I am feeling very sad about this surgery. I am sad about having to have it and sad that I won't be able to go out and eat like I am used  to doing. That is pretty much my social life so I am also worried about what am I going to do for social life. I was just wondering if anyone else had such sorrow before your surgery. I am almost feeling defeated about  when it comes to this whole weight loss deal and now am feeling forget about having the surgery and accept the weight. Anyway enough with the winning and I would like some input before I chicken out. I a worried if I am having such a hard time already what will I be like after.

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 7:25 am - San Jose, CA
Have you looked at the DS as a revision surgery?  Much more likely to work AND allows the most normal eating of all of the surgeries.
pandavenise
on 6/19/11 9:00 am
 I have looked into DS not interested in it. I am at 208 and have heard this surgery is for the people who have a lot more weight to lose. I may be wrong not sure.
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 10:00 am - San Jose, CA
Well, you are wrong.  The DS can be tailored to the individual by how big the surgeon makes the stomach, alimentary tract and common channel.

If you think you can maintain your weight by diet and exercise for the rest of your life, get a VSG.  If you already realize you can't, get a DS.
MsBatt
on 6/20/11 12:49 pm
Nope, not so. Probably what you've heard is that the DS is ESPECIALLY good for those with a BMI greater than 50. However, it has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss stats for people of ANY size. And it's the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

But if you really don't think you NEED malabsorption, go with the VSG while you still have a complete stomach. The VSG and the DS have basically the same stomach---fully functional, complete with pylorus.

I understand what you're saying about going out to eat being such a big part of your social life---mine too. That was just one of the many reasons I chose to pay out of pocket in order to get the DS---I could have had an RNY at no cost to me, but I didn't want to live with its restrictions.
Holly O.
on 6/19/11 12:09 pm - FL
Hi!  I think your feelings are pretty normal.  I have had the lapband for 4 1/2 yrs. and last Wednesday they removed the band and then continued on to do the RNY. I came home Thurs. afternoon and I havn't had to take any pain meds or anything!  This surgery was so much easier on me.  Today I walked for about an hour with my hubby!  I feel so blessed not to be hungry all the time!!  I truly feel good but you know before I had the surgery last week I had my moments of misgivings about my relationship with food.  I think we all do.  I started at 242 and I am down to 230 lbs. as of today.  I have one more week of clear liquids and then I will transition to soft foods.  I am very pleased and I feel so good!!  So relax and try to keep everything in perspective, o.k.  -Holly
   Holly                                      
louisec
on 6/19/11 2:10 pm - Orange County, CA
Ask as many post-ops as you can. For every person it will be a different response. I knew my RNY wasn't working by the 6th month. Here I am 7 years later with a lap band over my "too large pouch". Finally! I am losing better than I did the first time. Please read as much as you can...sometimes for us, a revision is our last chance to get it right (insurance & such). I've seen people go from band to the sleeve or the DS and both seem very happy. I am NOT a fan of the RNY. I now have to go for iron infustions 2 times a year...just be able to get out of bed. Too many other things that if I had known...would have mae me fight fir one of those 2. I am happy and keep close with my GP DR. Good luck....read read read!!!!
Louise
"that's what she said................"
Micheal G. Scott
Band to DS
on 6/20/11 1:36 am, edited 2/4/12 3:49 am
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

smileyjamie72
on 6/20/11 3:54 am - Palmer, AK

I understand how you feel, but you should still keep your options open..... I had RNY 9 years ago, and have been working toward a revision to DS.  Have you visited or lurked on the Lightweights board?  You should check it out.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/
There are people there who were probably your weight or even under who have had the DS.

Just keep your options open.  You have the right to change surgeries as well as surgeons.  You have already done the hard work by being APPROVED!!!!! 

-Jamie form Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active