New Here, Looking at a Roux-en-Y revision

cameobaker
on 6/19/11 12:34 pm - Ames, IA
Hi All!
I had a Roux-en-Y wayyyyy back in 1983.  It worked well - I lost over 80# - but then I lost my job, had to move home, and all that stress and no real support system and the weight started to come back on.
Fast forward to current - I have regained all weight back plus ~50#.  I have had to look at disability because of pain in legs walking and in lower back standing.  The pain has limited every part of my life.
I see my regular Dr. this coming week and will be broaching the subject of a revision and get his take on it.
The questions I can think of right now - how difficult is to find a surgeon, how difficult is it to get the surgery approved, and what kind of down time can be expected?
I realize my eating habits need to change, but I believe a have a better support system available now, plus 28 years of experience since the first surgery.
Thanks!

Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 1:21 pm - San Jose, CA
The FIRST question is what surgery do you want.  Then you figure out the rest.

You should be looking at a revision to a DS with as much weight as you're talking about needing to lose.
MsBatt
on 6/20/11 12:59 pm
I agree with Diana---the very first thing you need to do is research all your options. There are basically four forms of WLS currently done. They are, in the order in while *I* would choose to have them:

DS (duodenal switch) www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/    www.dsfacts.com

VSG/Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy/Sleeve  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

RNY/gastric bypass www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/

LapBand  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/  www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/

The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss AND the very best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. And in my opinion, the very best post-op lifestyle, too. (*grin*)
Most Active