Considering a revision to a DS-looking for info

stormechaser
on 6/18/11 6:15 am
DS on 06/08/17
I am cross posting this here and at the DS forum. :)

I had a VSG in October 2007. I lost an initial 80lbs, but at 6mnths out-I stopped loosing and felt the restriction slip away. I have gained back half of what I lost and feel like a  complete failure.

I am now pretty committed to a revision procedure so I am back at square one: research!

I am not ruling out an RNY, but since I have the first step of DS, I want to get some info on that firstly.

I also have psoriatic arthritis, so the ability to take NSAIDs is important and I know that is not possible with RNY. For the record, my oldest sister is just a year out of the RNY so we have been supporting each other in our journeys. I know many people with successful RNYs, so I believe I am extremely educated on that. Its the DS that I am unsure of.

Since I think (don't know for sure) that my sleeve is stretched, do surgeons tighten it back up during the intestinal part 2 step? My surgeon used a 32 French.

I am open to all comments and thoughts because this is my life and health and its important to hear all sides.

I thank you in advance for your input.

-Jessica :)

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Band to DS
on 6/18/11 6:33 am, edited 2/4/12 3:47 am
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 1:06 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I revised to the DS from an RNY, and I have never been happier. For the past 18 months life has been a lot better.

I take Nsaids. No problems. I no longer have reflux, vomiting, dumping, or reactive hypoglycemia.  I can eat more normally, I can consume a high protein, low carb diet without any problems, and life is good.

If you have a crappy metabolism, you have a better chance of keeping off the weight with a DS. The malabsorption of RNY goes away after a couple of years,  DS malabsorption continues. You have to be vitamin compliant, no ifs ands or buts.

There are many, many people on here *****vise from the RNY to the DS. You almost never hear of anyone revising from a DS to an RNY.  I only know of one person on here who did, and her doc really isn't known as a good DS surgeon (and that's being charitable).

Read dsfacts.com, go to the DS board, and see if it's for you.
MsBatt
on 6/19/11 1:54 am
Re-sleeving is considered quite risky, due to the possibility of crossing the old staple line, and the fragility of stretched-out stomach tissue. Some surgeons will attempt this, some won't. If you think you need/want this done, be VERY selective about choosing your revision surgeon.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/22/11 11:05 pm - Jacksonville, FL
 About 1-1/2 years ago, I looked into this extensively.  They usually do not need to resize your sleeve.  The malabsorption from the intestinal bit is enough to get things going again.  Remember that a VSG stomach is smaller than a typical DS stomach usually--so with your stretched sleeve, you're probably closer to a normal sized DS stomach.  

Honestly, my feeling was that since I saw so many RNY revisions, it didn't make sense to set myself up for another revision 5 years down the line.  You just don't see the regain in DSers.

For some reason, my weight loss picked up after pregnancy...1-1/2 years post sleeve with no weight loss since month 5--which got me below 200--so basically out of the revision market, but a DS is still on my horizon should I need it.  

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active