How large pouch must be before revision???

Charmaine C.
on 6/15/11 4:12 am - Columbus, OH
I have a few questions before going into doctor office for a scope to see how large my stomach is for a revision. I continue to gain wait and have tried everything and can not stop. I'm gee ting my Vitamin D under control which is a factor.

1. One do you know how large the pouch must be?

2. Do you have to go through any more programs like prior to original surgery?

3. Is there a weight gain limit?

Thank yous for your support guys!
smileyjamie72
on 6/15/11 6:49 am - Palmer, AK

All that my EGD and Upper GI reports stated were vague...... "A long gastric pouch".

I cannot answer #1, the only thing I could contribute to that was the above statement from my situation.

#2, Yes, all over again.... and then mine expired, so I had to REPEAT them all again.  UUGGGHHHHH

#3 As far as I know there is no limit on the weight gain.

Hope that helped
-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Ladytazz
on 6/15/11 9:25 am
 The pouch usually stretches.  That is to be expected.  The problem is when the stoma, the part where the pouch meets the intestines, stretches.  That can cause food to go right through and make you hungry again.
How long has it been since your surgery?  Do you drink with your meals?  I have heard that can cause the stoma to stretch.
If there is a mechanical failure that would be a reason for a revision.  As far as requirements before surgery I would think that depends on your surgeon and your insurance company.  I didn't have to do anything other then normal pre surgery labs.
I also had a BMI of 40 again, which my insurance required before a revision, but yours may be different.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

heathercross
on 6/17/11 12:09 am - New York, NY
Hey.  We are in similar boats.  I had the RNY in 8/2002 went from 305 to 175 and started gaining back in late 2007 - 2008. I went all the way back up to 246.6.  So, after many unsuccessful attempts, I went to see several surgeons last fall bc, like you, I could eat anything (sometimes a lot) and would stay full for awhile, but, when I ate smaller meals, I was hungry again almost immediately. I believed my stomach had stretched.  In February I had a CT scan with and w/out contrast as well as an endoscopy.  Both tests revealed my pouch was very stretched out my anatomically, everything else was fine (I did have a fistula though) as my staple line is a V instead of 2 straight lines.  But, this is apparently my "normal" as I've never had any issues.  My insurance company has a bariatric rider and I and allows for the following: Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB), Laparoscopic Adjustable Silicone Gastric Banding (LASGB), Sleeve Gastrectomy, Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD) and Duodenal Switch (DS) Procedures. I have a $20K lifetime maximum. Becuase I've gained back half of the lost weight, I was a good patient for a revision mainly bc I was ultra compliant for 6+ years. 

I wanted the BOB (Band over Bypass) but also considered a full RNY revision. However, I did want to risk it. The complication rate is high with any type of revisional surgery and even though I was planning on using the best surgeon out there (Dr Mitchell Roslin), I didn’t want the risk plus, I feel like it might fail me again. I had heard good things about the band over bypass plus it was a quick, less invasive surgery.   
So, that’s my story. I’m scheduled for June 23rd. As for your questions…..Oh, last thing, bc it was a revision, I was approved immediately, didnt need to document the weight loss, see the therapist, etc. 

Most Active