Lap band on 2005 no sucess :( any risk with revision?

Sexyvt123
on 6/12/11 9:32 am
Hi

I am from new york and im in the process of getting an revision.  I got my lapband back in 08 wit Dr Kurian and only lost 40pd which I gained back.  I advise you to review all your options with surgery.  Dr Kurian suggest I do the RNY but I never wanted to do that surgery but decided she knew best.  After getting fed up with NYU coordinator and doing more research on all my surgery options I went to see Dr Roslin and decided the DS is the best option for me.  Research, Research, Research.

nancpanc01
on 6/13/11 7:52 am
hey i revised to VSG. best decision ive made. im only a week out and im happy as a pig in **** (can i say that?) also make sure you have a skilled surgeon who can work his way around scar tissue...i wish i could just yell out to band patients that the scar tissue is nothing to mess with....ugh sad that they struggle with the crapband. oh well. just my .02

Height 5'4.5 Age 28  

Nic M
on 6/13/11 9:27 am
I AGREE!!!  The adhesions I have are ridiculous... and all from the "less invasive" lapbanding experience. My colon has a "Sharp V" turn in it that causes pain... from adhesions.  I'm a mess inside and it's all due to the lapband.

And you sure can say that you're happy as a pig in ****!! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Stacey-71
on 6/13/11 10:42 pm - OH
I had my band placed in 2008 and struggled with complications and 2 silps. I lost iniitally, but 7 mns out I had a slip and was never right after that with my band. I just recently underwent a revision to RNY 4 wks ago and am doing great! I had originially intended on VSG, but after a discussion with my surgeon, she decided I would be better suited for RNY! So far...so good! My recovery has been easier than with the band. I am able to drink and take my meds and eat my mushies just fine. I remember having trouble with the band right after surgery with tightness in my chest and so forth. I have none of that at all with the RNY. I am down 27 pounds in 4 wks. I only lost 40 in 7 mns with my band so that is also a PLUS. And I am not hungry!! That also was a struggle with the band...I was ALWAYS hungry! I wish you luck with your decision making process. Find a good doc. and ask a lot of questions!
Good Luck!
Michelle F.
on 6/15/11 9:44 am
Please make sure you go to an experienced revision surgeon.  Dr. Roslin has more experience in revisions than any other NYC surgeon there is.  If you don't need malabsorption, only restriction, my advice would be a sleeve revision, but if you or your doc feel you need that malabsorption, then the DS is the way to go.  Dr. Roslin said he sees way too much regain on all his RNY patients, especially the revisions, which is why he likes the sleeve or DS.

There is always more risk with a revision because of the scar tissue that has grown around the band and on your stomach, which is why you need someone who has done many many revisions, especially in your case from band to sleeve or band to DS.  I would recommend Dr. Roslin over any other surgeon in NY...I actually changed from my original band surgeon, Dr. George Fielding at NYU, to go to Dr. Roslin at Lennox Hill, because Dr. Fielding not only swallowed the "band kool-aid", but he really isn't an experienced revision surgeon, and that's what I needed most for safety.

Good luck!
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Lisa N.
on 7/3/11 10:13 am - Williston Park, NY
 I had my revision surgery last Nov with Dr. Roslin . I went from a RNY back to an RNY.  He is the best.  You will be in very good hands.  Yes there are risks.  He will do the surgery lap.  Feel free to email me with more questions.
   Lisa
castmar
on 7/10/11 8:18 am - Jackson Hts, NY
Thank you to all of you!!!! I will love to have communication with anyone who lives in NYC,that know Dr. Roslin... my personal e-mail is [email protected] you guys can contact me at any time....thank you again for your support.
Most Active