Lap band on 2005 no sucess :( any risk with revision?

castmar
on 6/11/11 10:24 am - Jackson Hts, NY
 Hi everyone! is been a long time since I visit this forum (lap-band)last time ....well I am very interesting in a revision I need to loose weight ...but I need some advice,,,and I have lot of questions,anyone here from NYC that had a revision from lap band to baypass? and how do they do the surgery? is more risky? thank you for your advice....
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/11 11:16 am
On June 11, 2011 at 5:24 PM Pacific Time, castmar wrote:
 Hi everyone! is been a long time since I visit this forum (lap-band)last time ....well I am very interesting in a revision I need to loose weight ...but I need some advice,,,and I have lot of questions,anyone here from NYC that had a revision from lap band to baypass? and how do they do the surgery? is more risky? thank you for your advice....
Have you chosen the bypass after reviewing all your options? Please also consider the vertical sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch (DS) options. THe sleeve is the restrictive part of the DS.

Here is a study regarding the safety and efficacy of revising failed surgeries to the DS, although it primarily discusses the revision of VBG and RNY to DS www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-op eration.pdf

Here is a diagram of the anatomical differences between RNY and DSwww.dsfacts.com/Comparison-of-DS-and-RNY.html

If you end up considering the vsg or ds route, a great revision surgeon in NYC is Dr. Roslin.

TamaraL
on 6/11/11 11:50 am
With any revision they remove the band, the stomach goes back to its original shape and they do the surgery like normal. 

Please find out if your insurance covers all of the surgeries and do your research on all the surgeries. 

I had the band to bypass and am glad I had it but there are other surgeries.  Like yehunda said there is the sleeve and Duodenal switch

Tamara

Chastyty
on 6/11/11 10:06 pm - RI
I had the lapband placed in 6/09 and I only lost a total of 20pds. pre and post op.  I decided this year to have a revision and opted for the bypass.  I am 5 days post op, and so far so good!  I actually feel better after the bypass than I did for the band.  The surgery was basically remove band and do bypass.  My doctor tried going thru the same spots on my belly so I would not have many scars.  My doctor did mention that there could be complications due to scar tissue around the lapband, but I did not have any complications on my surgery.  I went into hospital on Tuesday and was discharged on Thursday.  Everyday has def. been a better day. 
terilynn112
on 6/11/11 10:41 pm - maryland, NY
I'm another band to bypass revision. I've lost 80 pounds, a couple pre op, since surgery I've lost 67 pounds. I love life with my RNY, and I feel great. I too had my surgery in one surgery. They removed the band and did the RNY in one surgery, and felt great afterwards. To date I'm still not hungry. I eat, to feed my body. I get head hunger when my emotions are all over. Usually a cup of jello (40 calories) or a cheese stick and I'm good again for a LONG Time. I'm not as active as I'd like to be in the exercise world, but have had some issues with my back through this.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

MARIA F.
on 6/12/11 2:05 pm - Athens, GA

Teri congrats on all the weight you've lost since your revision!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Holly O.
on 6/13/11 9:05 am, edited 6/13/11 9:06 am - FL
Did all my pre-op stuff at the hospital..........lost 11 lbs. pre-op.  Pretty happy with that!!  I am good to go Wednesday morning..........have to be in Tampa for 9:00 a.m  I am the first one on the board for surgery at 11:00 a.m.  Time for my revision........lapband and I are parting company..not sorry for that one, converting to the RNY!!!  I'll be home Thur. evening if everything goes well!
Please keep me in your prayers..........my time is almost here!!  I teach full time so I am officially off for the summer, don't return to wor****il he 15th of Aug.  I will try to post this weekend!!  -Holly
   Holly                                      
heathercross
on 6/12/11 3:35 am - New York, NY
Hi, if you are thinking about a revision to an RNY, go see Dr. Roslin at Lenox Hill, probably the best in NYC of not the entire US.  I initially went to see him for my Band over Bypass but Lenox Hill isnt authorized under my plan (he is however, weird huh?). I think its bc they were recently bought by NSLIJ.  Here is his site www.nycbariatrics.com and his phone # is 212-434-3285.Steer clear of the other dude in the office. Roslin is a GOD and will be straight up honest with you.  Not much on personality though.
Zee Starrlite
on 6/12/11 12:50 pm, edited 6/12/11 12:51 pm
Roslin is great, been wonderful to me for 5.5 years.  He saved my life - really, I was obstructed from my Lap Band in 2005 when my surgeon abandoned his patients.  Back then no other doctor would touch you if they did not Band you.  I couldn't eat or drink for 8days straight with the exception of about an hour during midnight when I tried to get in as much water and muscle milk as I could.

I called doc Roslin's office -  and he did not know me at all BUT he called me from his cell phone on the road to the country.  He said I will turn back if you slipped but you just need to be unfilled.  Well my surgeons office was called (I had been in contact with them and my surgeon and they were doing nothing) by Roslin's and somehow a $500- cash payment was made by my old surgeons office for me to have an unfill with someone in upstate NY.

Later, with some encouragement from my therapist, I asked Dr. Roslin if he would take on my case.  And I will never forget it - he said you are a good person . . .yes (again lap band patients were not easily transferable at this time).   I don't know how, but he has never tired of me - he has been so good to me.

After my Sleeve,  sleep I opened my eyes and there he is right over my hospital bed in my face.  I covered my eyes with my hands  and he backed off and laughed.  He came in the next day and released me. 

I never think of him as weird.  He is one of the best people I know.

And people seem to love Drs. Shah & Yatco too.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tommie W.
on 6/12/11 6:44 am - Newton, TX
I had the lapband surgery done in 2005, did not lose a lot of wight. (40) lbs.  Had lots of complications.  Had gotten to where nothing would go down.  Had no choice, the band had to come out.
I had a revision done in Dec. 2010.  After 6 months I have 25 more Lbs to lose to get to my goal weight.
I have had no problems with gastric by-pass.  You have to decide what's best for you, what you would be comfortable with.  Do your homework.  read everything and talk to everyone you can.  Then make an informed decision.  good luck.
Most Active