What to do????

tripler
on 6/8/11 12:19 pm - Livermore, CA
RNY on 02/07/12
Hi,  I was banded in 2003.  Lost  80 pounds.  Over time and fills, unfills, and refills, I have put back on almost all of the 80 pounds.  I am desperate as I am getting old and fear I will become completely immobile if I don't do something.  I have over 150 pounds to lose and can't decide if I should revise to the sleeve or just go for the RNY.  I'm thinking since I wasn't successful with the band that most likely I won't be with the sleeve either. 

I've been overweight since about 5 years old and am now pushing 60.  I'm not a hugh eater but am very sedentary.  I recently went to a dietician and she told me that my  metabolism is a mess from so many years of dieting.  

I'm beginning to think my only hope is to have a  malabsorption procedure such as the RNY.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?? 

Thanks!    

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/11 11:09 pm
 I am probably not the best person to be giving this advice, but until my life sort of fell apart for awhile, the RN Y worked like a charm for me.  Frankly, I had wanted the band, but insurance would not pay, so I had the bypass.  I lost over 300 pounds.  I have regained to 270 and am having a revision, but still I eighed 500 to begin with so I guess this is an improvement.  I would say it would be a good decision for you.  Even though I have regained some weight, I do not regret it one second of any day.  Good luck.
Stacey-71
on 6/8/11 11:47 pm - OH
I was banded in 2008 and struggled after a slip 7 mns out. I just had revision surgery to RNY on the 23rd of this month. So far I have lost in these 2.5 wks half of what I lost in 7 mns out with the band!! It feels great! I don't think age really matters with WLS if you are healthy enough to undergo the surgery.  Its probably time to talk to your surgeon about your options. Good Luck!
Holly O.
on 6/9/11 12:30 am - Bradenton, FL
I was banded in Nov. 06........initially lost 30 lbs. and put it back on plus.  I am having a revision this next Wednesday, June 15th.....to the RNY.  I am 5'2 and currently weigh 242 lbs.  When I did the lapband I started at 220 lbs.  The lapband was not the appropriate choice for me but in the community I lived the surgeon only did the lapband.  I tried and tried with the fills too and unfills.  It really depressed me then I decided to sit in a few seminars with surgeons that did all kinds of procedures.  The most common revision is the lapband to the RNY.  For me the lapband wasn't the correct surgery for me.  I asked my surgeon about the gastric sleeve but he felt because I didn't do well with the band it wouldn't be the best solution or tool for me.

Ask lots of questions and 60 isn't old!!  You deserve to be healthier and happier!!  -Holly

heathercross
on 6/9/11 5:24 am - New York, NY
Just be sure to educate yourself as others have said. Yes, you will lose an insane amount of weight with the gastric bypass but it also too can fail. People with the lap band seem to always think the ray is the way to go. I have none many to gain it all back with the ray as well. I've gained back 65 of the 130. Just ask a lot of questions and make an informed decision. Also, seek a therapist too if you haven't already. No one on this site seems to take the time to fix their head only their bodies.
MsBatt
on 6/9/11 5:42 am
On June 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:
Just be sure to educate yourself as others have said. Yes, you will lose an insane amount of weight with the gastric bypass but it also too can fail. People with the lap band seem to always think the ray is the way to go. I have none many to gain it all back with the ray as well. I've gained back 65 of the 130. Just ask a lot of questions and make an informed decision. Also, seek a therapist too if you haven't already. No one on this site seems to take the time to fix their head only their bodies.
Not everyone's head NEEDS to be fixed---and sometimes, fixing one's body also fixes one's heads.

Seriously---some of us overate because of biological reasons. I too wondered if surgery would help me deal with so-called 'head hunger'. As it turns out, it was my stomach/gut dribing my constant, grinding hunger. I just plain don't HAVE that any more.
heathercross
on 6/9/11 5:45 am - New York, NY

Yes, some have biological reasons but all of a sudden becoming skinny will lead to more issues than you are aware. 

I would say the amount of people who are overwieght bc of biological issues is def in the minority.  Therapy never hurt anyone.

MsBatt
on 6/9/11 6:00 am
Oh, I agree that therapy never HURT anyone---I just don't think it's going to fix the OP's super-efficient metabolism.
smileyjamie72
on 6/9/11 5:28 am, edited 6/9/11 5:30 am - Palmer, AK

If you have metabolism issues, I would honestly get a second opinion from a surgeon who does all four (yes 4) WLS.  And, I suggest you read this board here.... there are alot of people who have had a revision from the RNY to a DS.  All I am trying to say is DS is a better choice to fix your broken metabolism.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and do what is best for YOU!!!!!!!!  And keep us posted!!!!
-Jamie

*Edited to also add that the sleeve is the first part of the DS*

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

MsBatt
on 6/9/11 5:45 am
You have 150 pounds to lose. You've been overweight since age 5. Your dietician says your metabolism is messed up. And you've already learned that a restriction-only procedure doesn't work long-term for you.

www.dsfacts.com
Most Active