I really need a revision - I'm miserable

terilynn112
on 6/11/11 10:35 pm - maryland, NY
and deal with a miserable band for another year while you go through the fight. No thanks!

You pushers can go back to your little corner of OH. MY RNY will not fail. I will, if it happens. And you know what? That's ok too. But it won't happen. Because I've learned so much on this journey. And I know the DS would have meant going out of state, which would make one of my two insurances not pay at all. I do NOT wish to hear from you ds pushers. Leave me alone! Not everyone that has a different surgery is making a mistake. And if that were true, why do we have a ds> RNY revision very active on the RNY board? And trust me there are MANY MANY successsful RNY, Bandsters, and VSG

Go away, pm me no more.... I will go through and block you idiotic attitudes! It's time to grow up, and realize that yes the DS worked for you, and maybe just maybe, the RNY or Band or VSG will work for us.

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/11 11:30 pm
On June 12, 2011 at 5:35 AM Pacific Time, terilynn112 wrote:
and deal with a miserable band for another year while you go through the fight. No thanks!

You pushers can go back to your little corner of OH. MY RNY will not fail. I will, if it happens. And you know what? That's ok too. But it won't happen. Because I've learned so much on this journey. And I know the DS would have meant going out of state, which would make one of my two insurances not pay at all. I do NOT wish to hear from you ds pushers. Leave me alone! Not everyone that has a different surgery is making a mistake. And if that were true, why do we have a ds> RNY revision very active on the RNY board? And trust me there are MANY MANY successsful RNY, Bandsters, and VSG

Go away, pm me no more.... I will go through and block you idiotic attitudes! It's time to grow up, and realize that yes the DS worked for you, and maybe just maybe, the RNY or Band or VSG will work for us.

PM's. i never Pm'd you...It shouldn't take a year to get approved for a DS or VSG. And I did not say your RNY would fail, so I have no idea what you're trying to get at. And I did not say anything to you for that matter. I was commenting to someone else, so bug off.
castmar
on 6/11/11 10:44 am - Jackson Hts, NY
 Hi how you doing? I remember you we had surgery the same year. I been miserable as well I need a revision but I am afraid of complications and how the doctor remove the band and do the next surgery I have so many questions....good luck
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/11 11:07 am
On June 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM Pacific Time, castmar wrote:
 Hi how you doing? I remember you we had surgery the same year. I been miserable as well I need a revision but I am afraid of complications and how the doctor remove the band and do the next surgery I have so many questions....good luck
It requires an experienced revision surgeon to do it safely. If there is scared tissue, you do not want an inexperienced surgeon working on you. You can revise to any other surgery once the band is removed. Please research all your options, particularly the duodenal switch www.dsfacts.com

abandster
on 6/11/11 10:44 pm

I know the fear of the complications for any future surgery.  And, obviously, I'm hesitating too.  I've seen so many people gain it all back no matter what surgery they've had.  I've tried so many things and spent so much money that I could have had a personal trainer and live in hook had I just saved my money til now. 

I wish you luck as well.  If I can answer any questions for you, please let me know.  I researched my original surgery for more than 2 years and started re-researching about 2 years ago on another alternative. 

I know there's no magic bullet but I want a crutch I can depend on to help me thru this.

LaWanda

Sexyvt123
on 6/12/11 10:20 am
Wow

I see this thread is a very touchy thread.  Instead of giving advice to anyone I am just going to tell my lil story and give my honest opinion.  I had lapband surgery back in 08 with Dr Kurian (great woman) and it failed me and I failed it.  I choose the lapband because like everyone else it was the less evasive surgery.  Now after 3 years im back again trying to get the RIGHT surgery best for me.  Everyone make mistakes and life is about trial and error.  The biggest thing I learn from all of this is to follow your heart and do whats best for you.  I was never a fan of RNY and im still not a fan of it.  I went back to Dr Kurian to talk revision to VSG and she told me that I should do RNY.  I was not happy when she told me that but told myself she was best and I trust her and would go with it.  DS and VSG was always an option for me but since Dr Kurian said if I fail lapband then its a high percent I would fail VSG bc it was another tool.  She does not do the DS surgery so was very bias againt it.  After all that I decided to do my own research and felt the DS is a better choice for ME.  Sad to say I had to go to another surgeon to have this done which im in my last stage of requirments for the revision.  Im **** that I have to do this a second time around but im happy that this time I will pick the best one that suit me.  Sometimes it does seem that the Dsers are a bit pushy but im sure they mean well.  They make you fight and research to the fullest power.  I know some of you RNY's, VSG, RNY to RNY and BOB people feel a certain way as well but we all have to look at the bigger picture.  From all the threads and stories I read Ive came to my own coclusion that most of the people that have revised surgery that isnt DS wanted the DS but wasnt able to get it because of insurance problems.  To ME I would fight till the end with an inurance company until I couldnt fight no more if I really wanted the DS.  I agree you have to try and can not accept no as your first answer.  You cant settle just because you want the weight off NOW.  You have to think long term and not have to do this **** a third, forth or fith time because its not healthy.   All of these surgeries have risk and nothing is safe proof but I feel that a person should pick whats best for them.  This is my opinion and im not taking up for the Ds'ers nor the None Ds.ers.  This is for me and DS is my final choice until otherwise.  Thanks for reading

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/14/11 7:05 am
Hi Sexyvt,
I read your post, and really am not trying to talk you into a sleeve or anything else, and also see how hypersensitive some of the other posters are, but do want to mention that the sleeve often does work for post-banders, depending on what went wrong. I know many.

If you managed to get to the "sweet spot" and had decent restriction, yet didn't lose, your doctor is probably right, but many people never find that spot, and are dealing with band problems right out of the gate so they never know if restriction alone will suffice. If that's the case, the sleeve may be great, especially if you are leery of the supplement thing.

If your surgeon doesn't do the sleeve, they usually don't recommend. I have several issues with the information your surgeon gives on their page, like the sleeve being experimental and only done as part of the DS since 2002. It's been done since 1978, and is one of the most problem free surgeries. If you really want the sleeve, it's worth looking into further, rather than just accepting what your surgeon wants to do.

Sexyvt123
on 6/14/11 9:45 am
Hi BearMom

Thanks for your response.  My NEW surgeon does all 3 surgeries and I looked into all of them and DS is the one for me.  My other surgeon only does lapband, RNY and wanted to convince me not not to get sleeve and get the RNY.  My BMI is 52+ and I do not want to do surgery 3 times just to get most of the weight off.  Ive done my research on my own and decided that DS is the best choice for someone like me.  I refuse to listen to a doctor advise just so they can get paid.  I made the mistake once and will not do it again.  I hade restriction and that just wasn't enough. 

Nic M
on 6/12/11 3:42 pm
Bands are such torture devices, I swear. They are so harmful to a body. 

I wish you the best. I hope you can revise and live a good life! I had my band removed but had too much damage to be able to revise. Now, 6 years after band removal (and significant regain,) I'm looking into a sleeve revision. But I'm scared to death to think about the possibility of more complications, too.

I really hope you can be NOT miserable soon, abandster. Good luck to you.

~Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

media604
on 6/13/11 5:15 am - GA
I can only share my personal experience with you in regards to the band and since I am a 7 year bandster who is actually on her 2nd band, I guess that makes me experienced.

I have spent 7 years in pain, vomiting anywhere from 4 - 20 times per day, obstructed and running back and forth to 3 different doctors all over the state for fills and unfills trying to find restriction. For me there was none. Only wide open and able to eat a horse with no restriction at all and hungry or so tight I was vomiting up to 20 times per day plus thousands of dollars in travel and fill/unfill expenses.

At the time I had revision to my 2nd band due to a slip my surgeons in Atlanta were not informed yet about the vsg and doing the sleeve or they would have pushed me in that direction. I have since seen 4 different surgical groups for advice on revision and they all now do the sleeve, the band, and the rny and they all tell me I am the "prime" vsg patient. The vsg will provide me with restriction, not obstruction. Just fyi my surgeon in Jacksonville Fl told me he and his partner recently returned from a European conference on bariactric surgery on the most greatly performed bariatric surgery over the next decade is going to be removing lapbands. He himself was an original proponent of it and sadly like me over many years of experience has learned more.

It's definitely your decision but I just wanted to share and say I would think long and hard before I put a band over an rny. Perhaps first look into a surgeon who is very adept at tweaking the rny. I've read many posts about some who have been successful with this. My sister is 9 years out with an rny and has regained 50 lbs and is checking into her options.

I"m so sorry for you as I know how you feel. I am getting a 2nd chance and am revising to sleeve this Friday, yoo hoo!

Most Active