I really need a revision - I'm miserable

nkara
on 6/15/11 4:56 am
 I agree with the DSers being a bit obnoxious.  I understand DS surgery is better for some people but I think allowing everyone to make informed decisions for what is best for each individual is the way to go... not pusihing everyone into only one option.   Also if your insurance doesn't cover it you're kinda stuck with what is offered.   
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/11 5:48 am - San Jose, CA
I don't know what else she wrote, nor do I care, but heathercross responded to me and then blocked me, so all I know is what came in my inbox:

heathercross has posted a reply to your post,
' I really need a revision - I'm miserable ' on
Revision Weight Loss Surgery Forum

Original message was:
"For every failed Band, there is a success story."

Talk about unsubstantiated generalizations!!  IF ONLY the band worked 50% of the time - IT DOESN'T!

The success rate of the band...

heathercross's reply was:
Ahhhh, another DS person.  What should be malpractice is doctors who are doing WLS, band, DS, etc after only a weekend of instruction at some seminar.  Not true surgeons.

So, when you have NOTHING to say to counter or rebut someone's statement, you try to dismiss the person in an ad hominem attack that has nothing to do with what was said ("Ahhhh, another DS person") and then you try to deflect the veracity of what was said by making some red herring statement ("What should be malpractice ..."). 

Heather, why bother responding when you have nothing worthwhile to say?
TamaraL
on 6/10/11 10:02 pm
HEather, Can I ask what surgery you are revising from.  I had the lap band and revised to RNY.   My band life was very complicated and painful.  I had heart burn, even with no fills.  I was always hungry and never got to restriction. 

The band is not easy and can be very complicated.  I wish you luck!!

Tamara

heathercross
on 6/10/11 11:15 pm - New York, NY
Hi Tamara:

I am having a Band over Bypass. I had an RNY in August of 2002.  I understand people have had issues with Bands but I cannot tell you how many RNY patients I know who've gained back every lb as well.  Its a tool and unless used properly it fails.  Likewise, its a tool, and unless DONE properly, success is more difficult (my dr. was very conservative with my pouch size and has since started making them smaller).  Mine is huge now.   
MARIA F.
on 6/14/11 1:25 pm - Athens, GA
On June 11, 2011 at 6:15 AM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:
Hi Tamara:

I am having a Band over Bypass. I had an RNY in August of 2002.  I understand people have had issues with Bands but I cannot tell you how many RNY patients I know who've gained back every lb as well.  Its a tool and unless used properly it fails.  Likewise, its a tool, and unless DONE properly, success is more difficult (my dr. was very conservative with my pouch size and has since started making them smaller).  Mine is huge now.   

~I understand people have had issues with Bands but I cannot tell you how many RNY patients I know who've gained back every lb as well. ~

Yes there are many RNY'ers that have gained weight back. That sometimes happen. But at least they were able to lose the weight initially! Do u realize how many bandster have had a band 2 yrs. and lost 25 lbs? 3 yrs. and lost 35? 4 yrs. and GAINED 10?!?!?! There are some RNY'ers that gain weight back.........but at least with an effective WLS like RNY they are able to lose it initially! Unlike the band where so many ppl don't lose any significant weight................and some lose none at all!

~Its a tool and unless used properly it fails.~

Correction.........IT SHOULD BE A TOOL. For many ppl with bands they have NO tool!!! What good does it do to get a band if u can have 16 fills in just over a yr. and NOT reach restriction?! That's like saying a plumber saying u can fix a water leak with a wrench..............but all u have is a broken wrench that is in 8 pieces. Not a very effective "tool" now is it?!

So it doesn't matter how judiciously u try to "use it properly"............If it doesn't work................IT DOESN'T WORK!

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/11 11:59 am - Bayonne, NJ
Heather, I really wonder if you're acting this way towards the people who offered advice because you're second guessing your own choice.

The band's failure rate is very high. There's plenty of documentation on that. Lots of respected doctors who have performed band surgeries for years still see those failure rates.

I've seen many people post about a band over bypass on this forum and honestly, only one has had real success. A lot of others have wound up going for a third revision.

If the reason the RNY stops working is because the malabsorption goes away, more restriction isn't necessarily going to work. If the problem is that the person is eating too much, then wouldn't therapy to find out why they are back to eatimg so much be a better option?

People think the band is safe because it is supposedly the least invasive. It's not true. I had a surgeon say to me 8 years ago that he wouldn't give people the band because he thought it was a scam and a money maker. His rationale was that the studies showed (even then!) that the rate of reoperation was extremely high.

Many of the people who come here to the revision board do so because of failed bands. I'm hoping you have a lot of success with yours, but your beliefs won't change the statistics on record.
nkara
on 6/11/11 8:07 am
 I have to agree with some responders on this topic.  I had band back in November 2009 and thought for sure I was making the right decision for myself.  I too thought it was the least invasive surgery and the best option for me.  I have had trouble with pain, unable to have any fluids in the bad, food getting stuck.. loosing a minimal amount of weight only to regain some of it.. now I'm in the process of going through more testing so I can revise to bypass.  I wish I had just gone that route in the first place.  

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/11 11:03 am
On June 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM Pacific Time, nkara wrote:
 I have to agree with some responders on this topic.  I had band back in November 2009 and thought for sure I was making the right decision for myself.  I too thought it was the least invasive surgery and the best option for me.  I have had trouble with pain, unable to have any fluids in the bad, food getting stuck.. loosing a minimal amount of weight only to regain some of it.. now I'm in the process of going through more testing so I can revise to bypass.  I wish I had just gone that route in the first place.  
Have yo also considered the vsg and ds options?
nkara
on 6/11/11 11:54 am
 Insurance won't cover any other procedure.  

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/11 11:58 am
On June 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM Pacific Time, nkara wrote:
 Insurance won't cover any other procedure.  
If your insurance covers any weight loss surgery, then you can get them to approve a sleeve or DS, but you may need to appeal.

Just please make sure to pick the surgery that you think is really best for you regardless of the insurance hurdles. I have seen many go from band to RNY, and then to the DS.
Most Active