Lap band to a gastric sleeve?

clp81
on 5/31/11 12:18 pm - CA
Hi.  I currently have a lap band that has significantly slipped and needs to be removed.  I am 5'1 and 185 pounds with a BMI of 34.  My sugeon has recommended the gastric sleeve?  What are your thoughts?  When I got the band in 2005 I was 195 and at my smallest I was at 165 which is about when I think the band slipped several years ago. 
Thanks for your help!
JUSTTAMARA
on 5/31/11 9:28 pm
Hello, I am in your same situation.  I was banded in 2007 lost a total of 40 lbs since then.  My new surgeon says I have a slippage with a piece of stomach to the side on top of the band, so food sits there then usually comes back up.  You would think since I am not digesting much I would be smaller but no. 

It was recommended that I have the sleeve as well.  I have already had my re-psych eval and now I am just waiting for ins. approval for the revision.  It has been the longest 3 weeks trying to hold on and not have the band removed until I get the approval.  I do not want to do two surgeries.

Good Luck to you!

On my way!!

Holly O.
on 5/31/11 10:53 pm - Bradenton, FL
I had the lapband put in Nov. 06...........in 2 weeks having it removed.  After consulting with my surgeon several times........he felt the RNY would be best for me.  I initially lost 30 lbs. with the band, I started at 220.  Here I am 4 1/2 yrs later 240 lbs. I am 5'2..........heavier than ever.  So I am blessed to have a 2nd chance..........can't wait for June 15th to come and go.  I wish you the best which ever surgery you decide on..........talk to your surgeon, get all the info you need to make your personal decision.

cdepietro
on 5/31/11 11:54 pm
 I made a big mistake by listening to my doctors office. They removed my band 10 weeks ago I gained 45 lbs and now I have to go through all the hoops to get the band the doctors office insistsit is not  a revision because the band is already out. The insurance company said I shouldnt have to do the 6 month supervised diet but the doctors office is just not listening. HEADACHES. I have since learned that if you are having youband removed put in for the revision at the same time. My doc will not remove the band and do another surgery that day but he could have gotten the spproval at the same time and saved me so much grief. Good Luck...
USAF Wife
on 6/1/11 2:04 am
My revision from band to sleeve was by far the best decision I ever made. Head on over to the VSG forum as most of revisioners don't frequent this board much anymore. There's tons of band to VSG'ers out there.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

clp81
on 6/1/11 12:50 pm - CA
I agree with you.  I don't want to have two surgeries either.  I have to decide soon because I have a large hiatal hernia due to my slipped band that needs to be repaired soon in order to prevent more damage.  I am nervous to have the band out, the hernia fixed, and the sleeve surgery all at once though.  How did you decide on the sleeve?  Did you consider RNY?  Thanks for your support and input.  Good luck with your revision!
Most Active