Revision from lap band to RNY

amm0082
on 5/29/11 12:56 pm - TX
I'm in the process of trying to get a revision surgery. I've had the band since March of 2008 and have only lost 50 pounds. I'm currently 231. My goal is 140. The band has never worked correctly for me and after I had my daughter in January 2010, things really went downhill. I'm not able to keep solids or liquids down. I also wake up in the middle of the night choking on my own saliva or throwing up in my sleep. Has anyone else experienced this and now thinking about a revision?
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRJHiUw/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wRJHiUw/blk-weight.png">>

TamaraL
on 5/30/11 12:17 am
I started out at 272 with the lap band, lost down to 218 and never lost any more!!  My goal is between 130 and 140.  I never could get to restriction.  I could eat but had to be very careful.  I also had acid reflux pretty bad.  Even with no fluid in the band.

I do recommend you elevate the head of the bed on bricks until this calms down.  Are you taking any omeprazole or prevacid or something similar.  You need to take something so that you don't damage the esophagus. 

I had the lap band in Jan 2009 and revised to the bypass in October 2010.  It got to the point with me that I told dr either he remove my band or I was going to remove it. 

I do feel like I learned a lot with the band.  I did work diligently with the RN and the nurse with my program with the band so I feel like I learned a lot about the diet

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/11 12:23 am
Unfortunately your situation is quite common with the bands. I would suggest that you also considered the vertical sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch as alternatives for revision www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-op eration.pdf

www.dsfacts.com

Best of luck.
Stacey-71
on 5/30/11 4:29 am - OH
I also had my band placed back in 2008. I just recently underwent revision surgery last Monday! I had a very "trying" experience with the band to say the least! But it sounds like you are familiar with all the ups and downs of the band! After this amount of time, it sounds like you need to start researching revision WLS if that is the route you want to take. I recommend speaking with your surgeon and make sure you tell them of your side effects. If you let the reflux go for long periods of time, you can def. damage the esophagus on top of all the scarring / adhesions that could possibly cause you more difficulties down the road. Good Luck!  Ask me any questions you like or message me anytime.
Hislady
on 5/30/11 7:39 am - Vancouver, WA
You don't say if your band is still filled but if it is PLEASE get it unfilled! The fact that you can't keep things down and even more so that you choke in the middle of the night suggests that you are way too tight or at least need to let the band rest. You can die from nite time aspiration or give your self pneumonia from getting the fluids in your lungs. You are living very dangerously and I would hate for anything serious to happen to you because of this stupid band. Please get it emptied you are in a very serious situation.
LittleMissSunshine
on 5/30/11 1:04 pm
I agree with yehuda, especially in light of the recent study showing the prevalance of weight re-gain in RNY patients that simply isn't seen in VSG/DS patients because the pyloric valve is preserved.

You can read more about the different WLS options with synopses of reasearch findings in my VSG Appeal Letter blog post.

Good luck!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Sexyvt123
on 5/31/11 5:27 am
I also had my crap band in March 2008 and only lost 30pds with it.  I have gastritis, Gherd and today I found out I have H Pylori.  The band just didnt work for me and now im in the process of revising to DS.  Dr Roslin told me that my BMI was too high for the band and that because im a african american woman that the chances of me losing half my weight was slim chance to none.  Trust me your not the only one.

Eleanore Davis
on 5/31/11 7:35 am, edited 5/31/11 7:36 am - Penn Hills, PA

Isn't it DEEP how us "African American Women" are at the bottom of the Loser Board all the time.  I just had my RNY revised and this pouch is so tight that I can't eat a blessed thing!  I got this surgery the day after Mother's Day and I have YET to be able to even keep down a small piece of chicken!  Mostly everything I eat makes me sick!  Yet my doctor told me I would be lucky if I lost anything and I have only went down 10 lbs in 4 wks with very little food.  I  wonder why I am not losing and  I am NOT eating hardly at all.  Protein drinks and bars have been my only friends.

kkaymathis
on 6/1/11 1:19 am - College Station, TX
My doctor told me the same thing. So he has been closely monitoring me in my first six months. I'm not one to settle for statistics. So I am going to keep fighting to lose more. Don't worry about the protein shakes and bars.  When you body adjust to the change the weight will adjust as well. Good luck.
If you want to be happy for life, love what you do.
Mary Higgins Clark

pepper4n6
on 6/2/11 11:09 am
Welcome to the club. Your body is in starvation mode. It has adapted to taking in less calories and is hanging on to everything to compensate. Maybe you need to try thickened puree or almost baby food consistency until you have healed more. It sounds like you still have some swelling. Hoping all works out for you. I am revising to a sleeve in August. I need to have the hormone taking away along with restriction. Wishing you well.  
Most Active