How long to wait between surgeries for revision?

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 5:36 am - Underwood, ND
I need to know how long most people wait between one surgery before they go ahead with another.  Anyone?
NeeNee1971
on 5/29/11 7:26 am - FL
Congrats first on beginning your journey. I had my RNY done in 2007. I just had a revision done 5/16/11. In most cases you have to show a large fail of sorts before revising. Then again I revised from a RNY to a RNY I did not change surgeries. I see alot of others on here do change.
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 7:33 am - Underwood, ND
Thanks for the response!!  What did you have changed then?  Tightened or what?  I plan to revise from VSG to either RNY or DS, not sure which yet.  Was your RNY failing you?
NeeNee1971
on 5/29/11 8:03 am - FL
RNY doesn't fail you.... you fail the RNY and I did. My surgeon went in laparoscopically and reformed my pouch making it smaller then added a pericardial patch to the top so I can no longer dilate it. Mu weight loss has picked up since and I am quite happy.
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 12:54 pm - Bayonne, NJ
If you have the VSG, get the DS. The VSG is the top half of the DS.

There are many reasons for revision, not just failed weight loss. I revised from the RNY to the DS because of esophageal erosion from constant vomiting, reactive hypoglycemia, and a host of other oddities. I love the fact that I can now take nsaids. I find it much easier to live with the DS than with RNY.
MsBatt
on 5/29/11 2:03 pm
Since you already have a Sleeve, it would be sheer madness to get it butchered into a pouch with a stoma.

Have you found a surgeon who's willing to revise you so soon after your first WLS?
heathercross
on 5/29/11 11:50 pm - New York, NY
"I plan to revise from VSG to either RNY or DS, not sure which yet"? 

Call me crazy but it concerns me that you JUST had surgery and you're already stating that you think the surgery is going to fail and you're planning the revision, I am really worried?  Also, if you plan to revise to a DS or an RNY, why did you even do this to begin with.
TamaraL
on 5/30/11 12:20 am
usually the insurance companies make you wait 1-2 years before they will pay for another surgery.

Do you not like the VSG??  It is supposed to be the waive of the future.  Give it  a chance

Stacey-71
on 5/30/11 4:42 am - OH
there is an awful lot of "mental preparing" that needs done before and after WLS, any type! Make sure you are "prepared" before you give up on your WLS. Sometimes this is the hardest thing to do, but I also believe it is the thing to do to have a successfull future with any WLS!
(deactivated member)
on 5/30/11 5:26 am - Underwood, ND
I have my mind made up, I am just simply wondering how long to wait.  Someone had mentioned that to go from VSG to DS they want it done in 6 months, other people say 1-2 years.  I'm confused.
Most Active