Revision from RNY to RNY

Wishmeluck123
on 5/30/11 9:03 pm
Hi ~ I had my original RNY done is 2001 - I lost about 100 lbs and never got to goal. I started to gain slowly...until the past 2 years, rapid gain. I had lots of issues. I decided after lots of research to have a revision. I had mine on 4/28/2011. I am now down 25lbs....I need (want) to lose another 40-50lbs....The weight loss is slowwwwww, but coming off. I seem to drop a pound a week now after  rapid 15 lbs the 1st week post op.....So it is working, but not as fast as the first time. However, I feel good now, I am eating healthy and making smart choices. Something I do not think I did the first time......I thought since my stomach was small I could eat whatever I wanted in small portions. That is wonderful until the pouch stretches.....and old habits creep up.....Now I make sure I eat 3 meals at least a day....healthy snacks if I am hungry...AND I only eat when I am hungry. I have dealt with head hunger over the past month. I now understand what that is.....I actually ask myself am I hungry....or bored. Hunger has a very distinct feeling....head hunger is when I want junk....and have cravings for unheathly foods....I just wait until it passes. Hard has heck!!!!
Soooo, to answer your question...Yes do it....I did and I am  happy....however, make smart choices, weigh your food and eat only when you are hungry and you will lose weight. And hopefully you will hit your goal weight. I did not choose the DS either, since they would have to reverse the RNY and start from scratch, just not something I wanted to endure. I feel good having a smaller pouch. I now realize to keep it small I have to eat no more than 3-4 oz for the rest of my life at any given meal. I feel blessed to have this 2nd chance and I dont want to blow it......
Congrats on your success so far......I hope I helped you a little. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions, I would be happy to help you!

PS: I also wanted to say that when my doctor went inside...he said he never saw anything like it. My pouch was stretched and a new limb formed causing weight gain because when my stomach was empty the limb over loaded into the stomach. (gross I know)I also, had a hernia repair and scar tissue removal and I feel like a new person.....
ginau
on 5/30/11 11:21 pm - mesa, AZ
 Princess

I think it's wonderful your thinking it all out..  If I had a chance to do it over .. I would have had my pouch made smaller.. I went for the shorten common channel.. I lost an additional 80 lbs  and now am just kinda stuck... I would love to have a smaller pouch  and I do believe  restriction is very important.. I know any surgery on the pouch is more risky.

I just wanted to wish you well ... keep me posted  please ..

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Lisam724
on 5/31/11 8:43 am - Cheshire, CT
Hello I am considering the same thing I am going to the doctors on the 2nd to see what my options are I also have to hernias so hoping to get them all done at once ! 
princessjoi19
on 5/31/11 11:06 am

Thank you NeeNee and Wishmeluck for responding!! I was hoping you would cause I know you are both in the boat as me. I go for my psych eval and nutrition class on 6/7 and start the other test and other hoop jumping that must be done. I will sit down w/ my Dr again to find out exactly what he will be doing to get me back on track and what I MUST do to STAY on track. I do know the first step is taking responsiblity for what I did not do the first time around. As you stated and as my Dr stated, the surgery is a "TOOL" and how it works depends on me.

The distal was briefly mentioned but not fully explained so I have more questions. I will keep you posted.

NeeNee1971
on 5/31/11 2:05 pm - FL
Good luck to you in whatever path you choose!
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

Most Active