Revision from RNY to RNY

princessjoi19
on 5/30/11 3:36 am
OK...so I'm kind of new to this message board! Every now and then I would come in and play peek-a-boo but never signed up but have finally decided to join. My story...i had my gastric bypass done lapriscopically back in January 2008. When I got on the table, I was 411lbs and miserable. As of today, I am at 285. My lowest weight was 274 and that was back in 2009. For the past 1.5 years my weight has stayed between 275 and 285. it has just been yo-yoing and I am frusttrated. I maintain all my appointments w/ my Dr and have had no problems other than I have never reached my goal of 185lbs. My last appointment I finally told my Dr we need to do something. So I had an upper GI and the x-ray shows my pouch has gotten bigger. So my doctor says he can go back in and make my pouch back to the size it was when I first had my surgery. So I will be making the necessary steps to proceed w/ a possible revision. Btw, he's not talking about the Rose or Stomaphyx (idk if he even does those) My question....Is there anyone who has had their surgeon go in and make the poch smaller again? Are you having success? What is the progress like? I am not considering the DS because I don't think its the route I want to take. No disrespect at all to those that have made that change, again, I just dont want to go that route, but commend those who have done it and glad you have succeeded. Any insight you can offer is very much appreciated!!!
heathercross
on 5/30/11 4:15 am - New York, NY
Hi.  I had my surgery back in 2002 and went form 305 to 175 and Im now back up at 246. I've had the endoscopy and the ct scan of my abdomen and my pouch is back the same size it was pre-surgery.  I went and saw Dr. Roslin about a revision.  Lot of people do it, you will find a bunch of people here on this board.  I have a friend who did it too and it was after speaking to her that I decided against the revision and to get a BOB (band over bypass).  My suggestion, go see a 2nd dtr.  I am not trying to talk you into a DS or a Band, but, I think you should have a 2nd opionion, expecially from a doctor that DID NOT DO you original surgery.  I can tell you that whatever your decision is, it will be a tough one and you have to do it for you.  But, a revision is major surgery and that is why I opted to NOT do it.  The 2 gals I know, were in surgery for 8-10hrs.  Whatever you do, get a 2nd opionion, educate yourself and make the best decision for you.  And, if you do decide to go back to your original dr, ask him how many revisions he has done.  if he hasnt done 100's, I'd chose another doctor.  The complication rate on a revision is 3X what it is a for a WLS virgin, so, make sure you are in the best hands.
Ladytazz
on 5/30/11 9:03 am
 Just curious.  How is your pouch the same size as before surgery?  I have heard of them stretching but not that big.  I believe that the stomach normally holds about a quart of food (I am quite positive that I could eat a helluva lot more then that, though).
Did your surgeon not make your pouch very small to start with?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

heathercross
on 5/30/11 10:50 pm - New York, NY
I am not a doctor. You'd have to ask him/her.  My initial surgeon was known for being very conservative when making the pouch.  It was only several yrs after than he started to make them smaller. 
Ladytazz
on 5/30/11 8:51 am
 I know you said you weren't interested in the DS but really with your starting weight you are going to need the big guns to take off the weight and keep it off.  You are going to need permanent malabsorption, not the temporary malabsorption of the RNY.  Sure you will need to take supplements but you should be taking them anyway.
The revision may help you lose some more but without malabsorption it will be hard to maintain the loss.

NeeNee1971
on 5/30/11 9:10 am - FL
I had RNY in 2007 and got down to 198 from 350. I became pregnant and after my daughter started to gain. My pouch did not fail me. I failed my pouch.

With that said, i talked with my surgeon and tried the sclerotherapy. That did not work. We went ahead and scheduled a RNY revision. He reformed my pouch that I had stretched out. Then placed a pericardial patch at the top of my pouch so I can not stretch it again. I had this done on 5/16/11. So on that day I was 227 and today I am 207. My pouch is preforming great and I no longer crave to eat again. So for me Rny revision to RNY worked.
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

NeeNee1971
on 5/30/11 9:12 am - FL
My pouch was made smaller on 5/16/11. Also ask about the pericardial patch to stop stretching. You will feel like you did the first round. Good luck to you!!!!!

Ladytazz
on 5/30/11 9:19 am
 What is a pericardial patch?  I have  heard of some surgeons putting some kind of gortex band around the stoma to keep it from stretching but I heard that many people who had that done had complications.

NeeNee1971
on 5/30/11 10:28 am - FL
Pig pericardial tissue is not elastic. That is what he used. I am two weeks out and no issues.

LittleMissSunshine
on 5/30/11 2:16 pm
Is it not possible to go from the RNY to the VSG?  Just curious... I honestly don't know.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Most Active