Got a surgery date and couple ?s for LB to RNY or others

Cheryl N.
on 5/24/11 11:53 am - Des Moines, WA
I got a surgery date... August 1st!!!! 

Now I have question,

Did you need to have an complete unfill to rest your stomach or what? 

The case manager was wanting to know if I want to do a complete unfill and I was actually considering that with all the regurgation issues .... and I want my revision to go as easy as possible.

How was the recovery when you revised to rny from lapband? 

Thanks!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

terilynn112
on 5/24/11 10:18 pm - maryland, NY
I had the band emptied. I had awful regurgation issues and it kept slipping but would go back if empty.

My revision was a breeze. I swear it was easier than the recovery from the band. That port site hurt like heck. It was longer than with the band however. It took me longer to get back to myself.

I'm down 65 pounds since surgery.... Just be forwarned... constipation is horrible after the RNY. At least it has been for me.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Mary B.
on 5/24/11 11:07 pm - Southern, MD

Congratulations!!! YAY :)

I didnt get an unfill. Honestly,  Im glad I didnt cause I would have gained even more weight being able to eat. I know myself and I would have. My surgeon didnt mention anything about it.

My recovery from the revision was MUCH harder than my band. I have to say it must just be me though. I havent talked to anyone else who had such a hard time. The band was easy and I was up and walking the halls right away. After my revision I needed help just to get to the bathroom. I couldnt get up and wal****il (my surgery was on a Tuesday morning) Weds night. And it was not far at all. I couldnt even sit up in the chair.

I tried to get up the next morning for my UGI. It took me almost half hour to get into the wheel chair! They sent me back to bed cause I couldnt stand up for the test. I asked to just stay and get it over with. They insisted I go back to bed.

I had almost 2 weeks off, but I could have stayed home a couple more days. I have a desk job though and no one bothered me.

This was my second surgery ever. Band was my first.

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Holly O.
on 5/24/11 11:36 pm - Bradenton, FL
I was at my surgeons office Monday.......having surgery June 15th........I asked him if we were going to take out the fill and he said, "no".  I don't have any problems other than some sliming and no weight loss.........so he left mine in.  But everyone is different, you and your dr. will decide what is best for you.  In my case it isn't necessary.  -Holly

azambesi
on 5/24/11 11:39 pm - Milton, FL
 I just had my revision from band to RNY last Monday. I am 9 days out and feeling great. They kept me longer in the hospital (Mon to Thu) than normal RNY patients because my surgeon wanted to wait several days before putting anything in my stomach. 

I had a rough time with port pain when I had my band put in... Not this time! I talked to the doc the day after the surgery and told him then that I really thought this surgery was easier than the band. 

I even went out for Girl's Night on Monday - one week after surgery. -- I never would have been able to do that after the band. (Not that I got to do much... sipping chicken stock at Girl's Night was quite the experience!)

As far as the unfill, I wouldn't know... I had my revision specifically because of port flipping problems. In the 9 months I had the band, I was only able to get filled once!  Finally this time, when faced with yet another surgery to fix my flipped port - I decided that enough was enough - time to revise.

So even if he had wanted to take the fluid out, he couldn't.

It may be beneficial to you. At least it would stop the regurgitation!

Good luck!

Holly O.
on 5/25/11 2:02 am - Bradenton, FL
So happy for you!!  I have the lapband as well and am having the revision to the RNY done on June 15th.............3 weeks away...........I have lived with the band for 5 yrs............so over it.  No weight loss, flipped port.............fills, unfills, pokes, *****s, jabs......LOL  Will be over soon...........but when I saw my surgeon Monday he left the fill in........there isn't much in there, so it really doesn't matter!!  Stay in touch.........glad to hear your feeling so well..........hope I'm like that!!  -Holly

shellb58
on 5/29/11 2:49 am - WA
Hi , I am in the Seattle area also. Are you going to St. Francis hospital? My surgeon is Dr. Srikanth. He is great. Any way to answer your question, I had the Dr. unfill some of the fluid about a month before my surgery because of the slimming issues.  I loved having the less restriction because I could eat whatever I wanted . I knew in the near future months I would be limited again on what I could eat. (liq. for 4 weeks.)
Shelley
shelley veturis            
Most Active