Band to sleeve revision - lap or open?

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 10:23 am
I talked to my surgeon about revising to the sleeve.  I recently had a cecal volvulus, which is where your bowel becomes twisted and strangulates itself and begins to die.  I had surgery for it last week and am now on the mend.  I have had trouble with my band from day one that I won't go into but is basically the same as most everyone else.  Anyway, I want the sleeve.  When I talked to my surgeon about it, I was under the impression the band could be removed and I could be revised all at the same time laparoscopically.  He said sometimes but not usually.  It could either be two procedures, remove the band, heal, then do the sleeve.  Or do it open.  I guess it's the open part that scares me.  When I just had surgery last week for the bowel problem, they opened me up for it.  I am a whimp and will do it, if necessary, but, of course, would opt for the lap.  Has anyone had experience with this?
Sheri_Lynne
on 5/20/11 11:03 pm - MN
I just revised to the sleeve on Monday. My Dr told me I had a lot of scar tissue but he was still able to do it lap and in one surgery.
USAF Wife
on 5/25/11 11:21 pm
Most revisions for band to VSG or band to RNY that I've seen/read about here have been done as lap procedures. Depending on the band issues each individual patient has, I've seen both being done at the same time, or in 2 procedures. I had my revision done in one procedure.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

coreena691
on 5/30/11 12:43 am, edited 5/30/11 12:51 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
I just had my revision May 12/11 and it was done Open. I went from VBG to the sleeve. I did have some scarring and my liver was attached to my stomach hence the doctor doing open. He does all the revisions open because he wants to be prepared for any thing out of the ordinary. Also I had some thick tissue around where the siliastic band sat for 20 yrs, so they had to make sure it left enough room for a sleeve. Although it takes a little longer to heal from open surgery, I feel pretty good and back to normal already!!
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

Band to DS
on 5/30/11 2:39 am, edited 2/4/12 3:24 am
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Most Active