Anyone here done VSG to RNY?

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/11 1:06 pm - Underwood, ND
I am seriously considering revision from VSG to RNY.  I think it's what I'm going to need to succeed.  Anyone here done this?  Insurance cover it?
Ladytazz
on 5/16/11 3:49 pm
 Did you just have surgery last month?  Why are you thinking about a revision so soon?
If it does turn out you need a revision you should look into a DS.  You would be half way there anyway with the VSG and the DS would give you the added benefit of malabsorption to help you lose weight and keep it off.
As far as insurance paying, I doubt they would pay this early out unless there was a medical reason to revise.  Maybe they would pay for a DS, if they cover it, since the VSG is part of the DS but I think they would  have to have a good reason to pay for 2 surgeries.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/17/11 7:36 am
 This makes no sense. The DS has so many benefits over the RNY, and you have half of it already. I must be missing something here.
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 7:50 am - Underwood, ND
Did some calling today on the DS.  Have to learn more about it.  Teach me!  They won't do it in my state, but I'm waiting for a callback from MN, who does.
MsBatt
on 5/17/11 9:36 am
I, too, want to know exactly WHEN you had a VSG done, that you're already thinking revision. BUT---if you really DO need malabsorption, the DS is a better choice, and the sooner you get it, the better it's going to work. There's just something about the combo of rrestriction and malabsorption ALL AT ONCE that works better than spacing the two halves out several months apart.

The stomach part of the DS IS the VSG, which you've already got. It would be criminal to butcher that fully-functional stomach into a pouch-and-stoma combo, just to provide a LITTLE malabsorption of calories for a FEW months, but give you PERMANENT malabsorption of essential vitamins and minerals. If you do add the 'switch' to what you have now, you'll still get permanent malabsorption of vitamins and minerals---but you'll ALSO get permanent malabsorption of some of the calories from protein, fat, and complex carbs.

But here's the thing---most bariatricians believe that it's the RESTRICTION that causes most of the weight LOSS. Malabsorption is believed to be the key to KEEPING it off, long-term. The DS tends to bear this out---it has the most malabsorption of any form of WLS, the ONLY permanent malabsorption of calories, and the very best long-term, maintained weight loss stats.
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 10:59 am - Underwood, ND
I am 6 weeks out.  I had the sleeve done 4-6.  I am getting WAY different information from this site than I am getting from my NUTS...and, frankly, I think that my NUTS are NUTS!  They are telling me that I should be ingesting 1000-1200 calories a day and 120g of carbs.  I haven't heard ANYONE on here with numbers that high.  They don't do DS in my state, so I'll see what they say when they call back.  I'm just super pissed and looking at options.  Thanks for the info!  How does the metabolic part of DS work?
MsBatt
on 5/17/11 12:22 pm
Okay---NO surgeon is going to revise at 6 weeks post-op, unless you have WAAAY bigger problems than slow weight loss. Most won't consider it until you're a year out.

120 grams of carbs sounds WAY too high to me. Most people, even those with malabsorption, try to keep their carbs under 50 a day, some even less than that, when trying to lose weight. And those carbs need to come from things like veggies and whole grains, too. But 1000-1200 calories, total? Not bad, really. I remember that after my DS, my 'goal' was 1500 calories a day by six months post-op, with 100 grams of protein.

Let's look at how much/how fast you're really losing. According to your ticker, you started out needing to lose 132 pounds, and you've lost 22 of them---which is 16% of your excess weight. At this rate, you'll reach goal in slightly over six months. Some people take 18-24 months to reach goal, and some people NEVER reach their ideal weight. The less you have to lose, the longer it takes to lose, because the less you WEIGH, the fewer calories you burn just to stay alive. The only way to change this equation is through exercise. And I'm NOT talking about the calories you burn during exercise---I'm talking about adding to your lean muscle mass. Lean muscle burns fat staying alive, but fat just hangs there, doing nothing but storing calories against future needs.

I don't know enough physiology/chemistry/endocrinology to completely understand how the 'metabolic part' works, much less explain it. (*grin*) Many bariatric professionals don't understand it, either---it's just an observed phenomenon.

I guess my bottom line here is this---your weight loss at this point in time is just FINE, and by the time any reputable surgeon WILL do a revision on you, you'll probably feel very differently about wanting one. I do advise journaling your foods, eating more protein/fewer carbs, and staying OFF THE SCALE. Weigh once a month, and you'll be amazed how well you're doing. Weigh every day, and a lot of days you'll be discouraged.

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 9:59 pm - Underwood, ND
Thanks for the info, MsBatt!  No idea where they journey will lead me, but TRYING with all my might to stay positive.  My ticker has pre-op weight of 10lbs included...and I haven't brought myself to add back the 4lbs I've gained since that...so technically it should say 18 lost, IF you include pre-op diet in that.  According to the nurse that I talked to yesterday, they don't do the DS in 2 parts there, they do it all at once.  She claims that you get better results in the beginning when you have the major VSG restriction along with the malabsorbtion at the same time, so she says the sooner the better.  Who knows.  I'm really torn right now at what to do.  Part of me wants to just wait and see what happens, the other part doesn't want to **** around and waste another year being obese just to have to do it later.  Wish I had a crystal ball!  lol
MsBatt
on 5/18/11 2:53 am
Who's the surgeon you're talking to now? Most surgeons do do the DS all at once---it's generally only split into two surgeries if the patient's health won't allow them to be under long enough to do the whole thing.

Are you self-pay? Again, if your insurance paid for your VSG, no way they're going to also pay for a revision a this point---maybe NEVER, if they have that "once in a lifetime" clause so many are going to now.

Not saying this to rag on YOU, but---this is a prime example of WHY we DSers stress to all pre-ops the incredible importance of researching and FULLY UNDERSTANDING all the options before having any WLS.
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 3:04 am - Underwood, ND
Frankly, I came to this forum asking about my options from people who have had problems and revision, hense why I am at the revision board.  Have you ever had a revision?  That was my purpose for coming here, not to be ragged on.  Thanks for your help tho.
Most Active