My Doc suggest revision to RNY insead of VSG or DS

Sexyvt123
on 5/16/11 7:18 am
Well I just got back from the doctor and she agree that its time to get rid of my band which I expected.  What I didn't expect was for her to tell me that I should get the RNY instead of the VSG or DS.  I really had my mind set on the VSG but now im rethinking it now that ive seen her.  She told me that if the band didn't work for me then the VSG might not give me the result that im looking for.  She told me that right now the DS is just to much and that I should go with the RNY.  So right now she set a date of June 21 to revise my band from a Lapband to RNY.   I start liquid June 7th and pre op is June 21st.  I have to go get a Upper Endoscopy on Wednesday.  Should I really consider the RNY?  I really want half this weight off and will do what is needed to get to that goal. 

smileyjamie72
on 5/16/11 7:53 am, edited 5/16/11 7:53 am - Palmer, AK

Please, do your RESEARCH!!!!  Only you can make the BEST decision for yourself, but, my opinion, is RUN!!!  Do not get the RNY!!!!

Does the doc you saw today do all 4 (Yes, FOUR) weight loss surgeries?  There are only a small amount of surgeons who do a lapband to DS revisions.

http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeo ns.html

New York

William B. Inabnet, MD, FACS *
Email: [email protected]
Mount Sinai Program for Surgical Weight Loss
5 East 98th St., 14th Floor
P.O. Box 1259
New York, NY 10029
Phone: 212-241-3309
Fax: 212-722-2543

William O'Malley, MD, FACS

Bariatric Surgery Center at Highland Hospital
1000 South Ave.
Box 20
Rochester, NY 14620
Phone: 585-341-6543
Fax: 585-341-6544

Mitchell Roslin, MD, FACS *
Email: [email protected]
Paresh C. Shah, MD, FACS *

Lenox Hill Hospital
Manhattan Minimally Invasive & Bariatric Surgery Program
186 East 76th Street, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10021
Phone: 212-434-3285 or 1-888-949-9334 toll free
Fax: 212-434-3250

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Sexyvt123
on 5/16/11 10:08 am
Well was schedule to go to the seminar on Wed but that might not happen now .  I have to really think about what im doing. 

Zee Starrlite
on 5/17/11 12:47 am

Honey if you are going to get "malabsorbtion",  and you are willing to do all you are supposed to to keep yourself healthy with  your WLS, why in the hell would you not get a VSG w. Duodenal Switch?

Yes, Marina knows this surgery (DS), Yes, Fielding know this surgery(DS)  BUT they will NOT do it for you at NYU.  NYU is a Band mill.  

I think I read that you were 360lbs last night???  I've had a band too and when it actually worked I was able to lose 116lbs - restriction only works for me so I will have a sleeve.  Now if you had restriction with your band and it worked and you weren't able to lose as much as you needed  why, why put yourself through the torchure of  having another WLS fail you?  Have you been seeing all the RNY to DS revisions?  Do you know how risky it is to have that done?  Do you know how skilled of a surgeon you need to find to be willing to do one of those RNY to DS revsisions.  Do you know people are being turned down or being given half assed jobs like the the ERNY - all the pain and none of the pleasure of the DS.  Then after that they are looking to get the real deal - WTF! We can't keep having surgeries without a price - we are risking our lives each and every time we go under the knife.

Some people do really well with the RNY, But please look at the stats.    Lets keep it real, someone who is 300lbs has a bigger problem than someone that is 200lbs and someone 500 or 600lbs has a bigger problem than someone who is 400.   We need suitable solutions to our problems.  Stomas and pouches stretch.  The RNY is no longer the "Gold Standard"  That surgery is of yesteryear.  The sleeve gastrectomy and the The sleeve gastrectomy with duodenal switch are what is happening now.  These are "platinum surgeries".  Why Half step it?

You can get a longer common channel if that is a concern of yours.

Why don't you go here hun:  http://www.nycbariatrics.com/default/about-our-program/our-s urgeons

I would not steer you wrong.  Dr. Kurian is lovely, BUT Mitchell Roslin, M.D. rocks my world (the 2 docs are really good friends).  Even if you got the RNY, would you want dull hands to do it?  By that I mean when you've been doing steady banding for years, your hands/mind/skills are  not as sharp and precise for other procedures.

Much love to you.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/17/11 7:37 am, edited 5/17/11 7:40 am
 Yes, they usually talk BS about the procedures they can't do. Never send away a paying customer when you can scare 'em into buying what you sell.

ETA - while she lists the DS as one of her surgeries, when you go to see what she has actually done, there is only ONE lap DS, and 11 open DS's, of which she was likely only assisting. Holy crap - nothing like signing up to be her guinea pig.

The numbers tell the story of a band/RNY mill, and that is all they have for sale there. Look up what is best for you, and find a good surgeon that does that.
MsBatt
on 5/17/11 9:45 am
Would you REALLY expect the Ford dealer to recommend you go somewhere else and buy a Cadillac?

Your surgeon is NOT an experienced DS surgeon. Consult with one of the surgeons Jaime listed---I think you'll get an entirely different view of things from any of them.

If you want to lose and KEEP OFF 180 pounds, get serious about a DS.
CarmelCandy777
on 5/19/11 6:32 am
I'm just now in a place where I'm considering a revision.  Something I've always said I wouldn't do.  One thing I know is that there are no guarantees no matter what you do.  I've had a RNY, lost about 80 lb. and have regained most of it back.  I'm currenly about 315-320 depending on the day and time. I never got under 250. So I guess it all just depends.  It's really a scary thing.  I'm quite frustrated that I went through all of that and still didn't lose weight.  Still not sure about a revison.  All I can say is think and pray long and hard about what ever choice you make.
Frankie
on 5/19/11 7:14 am - NY

Fight for the type of surgery you want.  I had RNY in 2004 lost 122 lbs in 8 months, did well until 2008.  I have gained 80lbs and I am seeking a revision to DS.  When I inquired about the DS back then my surgeon told me it was for people with BMI's over 50 and my insurance wouldn't approve it.  So I decided on the RNY.  Boy, what I know now.  I went to Dr, Roslin's seminar yesterday and there were a few people there with me who had RNY and are seeking revisions. 

Do you homework and decide whats best for you.  I have all my appointments lined up and hoping to have surgery in late June early July.

Best of luck to you.

Frankie

dana712
on 5/19/11 10:04 am
Is your insurance paying for the revision?
I was turned down twice.

Dana
Frankie
on 5/20/11 12:04 am - NY
I have asked the insurance coordinator and apparently Oxford is one of the insurances that gives easy approvals.  Once I meet the requirements it usually takes less than 30 days.  I have my appointments next week with the surgeon, week after that nutrutionist and they psych.  Once those are done they will submit to Oxford.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Most Active