DOESNT KNOW WHICH ONE TO REVISE TO

MsBatt
on 5/19/11 2:24 am
Do you even know what "invasive" means?

In both the RNY and the DS, they cut you open, cut and sew both your stomach and your intestines. Again, I ask you, HOW is the DS "more invasive" than the RNY?

I think you're confusing "invasive" with "malabsorptive". But again, malabsorption doesn't equal malnutrition, nor does it mean someone who's a light-weight will lose "too much weight" with the more malabsorptive procedure. Believe me, over the years I've seen a BUNCH of people with the RNY who wound up having a reversal because they lost too much weight.
pandavenise
on 5/19/11 10:51 am
 Dr Coats does DS now he is affiliated with my Dr.
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 8:43 am - ewing, NJ
Thanks Everyone for the input. I go tomorrow for my consult to see what my surgeon suggests!! I will let u all know!!!!!

smileyjamie72
on 5/18/11 10:00 am - Palmer, AK

My suggestion is to go to a surgeon who does all 4 surgeries!!! If they do not do a certin surgery, then they will not do you the due dillegence of telling you about it.  Or even worse, is if you ask, they will try and steer you clear of the surgery that they do not perform!!!!  Surgery is a BUSINESS!!!!!

Keep us posted & take Care!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

terilynn112
on 5/18/11 11:27 am - maryland, NY
I llove my band to bypass revision. IN 4 short months i've lost 65 pounds, and more than 30 inches (all over). I would do it again in a heartbeat.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 4:00 am - ewing, NJ
Ok just getting back from a consult. The Dr suggested that he remove any saline in the band to see if that helps with reflux and heartburn. He says that sometimes if the band is too tight I will not lose weight and you cant eat the proper nutrients. He also wants to view my band under an X-Ray first. So he removed the 3cc's I hope I dont go overboard and gain more weight.....I am not sure what hes going to do next so I am just going with the flow. I go for X Ray next week and follow up appt with Dr is 4weeks from now. Anyone go through anything similar during revision process?????????/ 
clarah
on 5/19/11 5:24 am - HI HAT, KY
Hi.. I am 3 years post op from gastric bypass.. I never really had any problems with it until recently, granted I didn't lose the weight the doctors had expected me to. Now I am having a lot of issues with my sugar levels. They drop into the 30's and I have a horrible time getting them back to a normal,safe level. I had to go see a endocrinologist last week and on the first visit he mentioned having a revision done.Im not sure what he wants me to revise to tho! I have other health issues ( a pacemaker being one) and I dont want to endure a unnecessary surgery. Has anyone else had any problems with the gastric?
smileyjamie72
on 5/19/11 5:29 am - Palmer, AK

YES!!!!!  You should do a separate post on your RNY & your blood sugar dropping.  LOTS of people with the RNY get reactive hypoglycemia.  LOTS.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Band to DS
on 5/20/11 2:30 pm, edited 2/4/12 3:16 am
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

LisaAnn
on 5/24/11 9:42 am - WA

I too am very biased, but only because the DS has been amazingly wonderful to me. Not all DS surgeries = complications! Just as not all RNY surgeries = complications. But I can only speak from MY experiences, so here goes.

I had the VBG in 2006. VBG is restrictive only, and no malabsorbtion. However, I had stuck food constantly, and vomiting was a way of life for 3 years!!! I swore I would never revise to another “pouch" ever again!!! So I researched and researched. I found the DS to be the best bet for me. One, because I needed the malabsorbtion, and two, because I did not want a pouch and the “stuck" syndrome ever again.

The VBG to DS revision is a serious surgery, so I found a very experienced surgeon who was able to perform it! I researched for over a year.

So, I am now almost two years out from my revision surgery, and am so in love with life again. I do have to take a lot of vitamins daily, but you have to with any malabsorbtive surgery….other than the vitamin regimen, my life is completely normal. I have zero complications and can eat just as normal as I want. I do eat tons of protein and drink a protein shake per day….but I also eat carbs, drink carbonated beverages, take NSAIDS, and pretty much just eat as usual! I still have restriction, but not to the point of feeling sick, ever!!!

Now, for me, I have no gas issues ever. Not with sugar, not with carbs, nothing. I know this is rare, but it is true with me. My bowel movements are regular and not overly smelly….in fact, I am much more regular now than I have ever been!!!!

So, that is just my story with my revision. It is not the same for everyone, but it is why I am very, very biased toward the DS….it is “for ME" the best decision I have ever made in my life!!!!!!!

So I suggest you do a lot of research, figure out your lifestyle and see if the surgery you chose will fit that, then find a VERY reputable surgeon that can and has performed your surgery type in abundance!!!!

Good luck!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Most Active