DOESNT KNOW WHICH ONE TO REVISE TO

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 2:29 am - ewing, NJ
 I CURRENTLY HAVE A LAP BAND AND NEED A REVISION. I WAS BANDED IN 2005 AND LOSS ONLY 30LBS THEN BECAME PREGNANT. I DELIVERED IN 2006 WEIGHING 296LBS. I DROPPED DOWN TO 220LBS THEN LAST YEAR I DROPPED DOWN TO 217LBS.NOW THIS YEAR I HAVE BEEN GAINING LIKE CRAZY. I WEIGH 243 IM AN 5"10. I HATE THE BAND BCZ I HAVE BECOME A "PROFESSIONAL PUKER". I REALLY DONT THINK I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE BAND BCZ I WAS NEVER AN OVER EATER. JUST ALWAYS CHOSE THE WRONG FOOD CHOICES. NOW I GO FOR A CONSULT FOR REVISION SURGERY ON THURSDAY......ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO GET???? I KNOW I DEF NEED THE MALASORBATION AND NOT THE RESTRICTION I GUESS??? IM CONFUSED HELP!!!!!! ALSO CO MORB ARE ARTHRITIS, ASTHMA, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, BORDERLINE DIABETES, AND HIGH CHOLESTEROL, GERD
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/17/11 7:30 am
 Of course I'm biased, but I needed malabsorption, so picked the surgery with the best weight loss, and best maintenance. I didn't want to have any chance of dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, marginal ulcers and with some RA, must be able to take NSAIDs for pain.

Also, since you only absorb around 20% of the fat you consume, most of us DSers have awesome cholesterol levels. It also has the best cure (yes cure, not remission) rate for diabetes. The DS was the only thing that made sense. 
MsBatt
on 5/17/11 9:27 am
With those co-morbs, the DS is your best choice. It will allow you to continue to take NSAIDs for your arthritis, and it has the very BEST stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol. And while it doesn't cure everyone's GERD, it sure did mine. (*grin*)
Stacey-71
on 5/17/11 8:37 pm - OH
My "intention" was to revise from my band to VSG, but after talking with my surgeon and going over my history, she advised me to revise to RNY for "my" best result. Do a lot of research and talk things over with your surgeon and go over your history thoroughly!!
I had the lap band placed in 2008 and I am soooo ready to get rid of this thing!!
Best of Luck to you!
Holly O.
on 5/18/11 6:34 am - FL
Hi!  I had the lapband put in Nov. 2005 and will be going for my 1st consult this Monday.  The lapband failed me.........initially lost 30 lbs. and have gained it all back plus!!  Very discouraging.  After tallking with my PCP for several months and several months of research I feel very prepared to talk to my new surgeon in Tampa.  Unfortunately the surgeon I used before only did the lapbands...........so he never ever discussed any other procedures!!  When I went to a seminar last month this surgeon explained that the band isn't for everyone...........he treats everyone as an individual....not a one thing fits all attitude.  So this time I feel I am much more prepared to speak up and ask some tough questions. 

I will post next week after I see my surgeon.  I am very excited to move on and have this darn lapband taken out once and for all.......it simply wasn't the right tool for me!!  I know that now....almost 5 years later!!

Holly
   Holly                                      
pandavenise
on 5/18/11 7:31 am
 I am in the same situation right now myself.I have had the lapband since Oct 09 and only lost 30lbs which I have gained 10 back and still gaining. I  Have about 70 to 80 lbs to lose. I talked to my DR yesterday and with RNY if there are problems it can be reversed if needed and the DS you have
higher chance of malasorbation problems with maybe too much weight loss But if you go to the DS board on this site they hate rny because most of them have failed at RNY so I don't know how much you want to lose but I think DS is too invasive for me. Good luck I did talk to the isurance girls and told them about my concerns and that I was afraid of RNY surgery and the problems and they said most people that have problems don't follow the program right. 
MsBatt
on 5/18/11 11:38 am
There are more people who have malnourishment problems due to the RNY than there are from the DS. This *may* be because most people who have the DS are aware of its powerful malabsorption, and are more dilligent about taking vitamins and getting routine blood work done.

I
m willing to bet that the surgeon who told you that does not DO the DS.

As for "invasive"---how do you think the DS is more invasive than the RNY? They're both major surgery.
pandavenise
on 5/19/11 1:38 am
 My surgeons office does do DS and you have more of a bypass with the DS that is all I am saying. Why are DS er"s so touchy about their surgery
MsBatt
on 5/19/11 2:18 am
The surgeon you have listed does not do the DS.

Yes, there is more intestine bypassed in the DS, but this does NOT equal more problems with malnourishment.

We're not 'touchy' about our surgery---we ARE touchy about people spreading misinformation about our surgery.
pandavenise
on 5/19/11 1:39 am
 And I said to invasive for ME didn't say everone

Most Active