?'s about revision

tclark9208
on 5/15/11 3:44 am
I had RNY about 3 years ago.  I started at 320 and got down to 200 and immediately got pregnant.  I shot back up to 280 almost overnight and have since stayed at this weight for two years.  I can eat like a normal person and I cannot lose weight.  Why can I eat normally?  I am scheduled for an endoscopy in a week.  Does anyone know if Blue Shield of California will cover a revision and what I need to do to get one?  Thanks!
Wishmeluck123
on 5/15/11 4:27 am
Hello ~ You sound similar to me minus the pregnancy! I had the RNY done in 2001 - I started around the same and got to around the same. However my weight gain was not as much. I gained about 45 lbs....but still enough to scare me.

With that said, I decided to research a revision. Long story short, I had mine done April 28, 2011. I have already lost 22 lbs....and on my way to my "original" goal weight that I wanted. I am feeling great and have a small pouch again. Can barely eat 3oz and very happy. I have NYSHIP/Empire BC/BS for medical and I got approved honestly within 2-3 days. I was shocked. So not sure if our plans are similar with what they cover, each plan is so individual. But at least it is a BS/BS plan.....

Like I said I had my surgery in 2001 - lost weight great at first, then about 1-2 years post op....appetite came back....weight gain started and so the story goes. I had gone for a swall study, and made an appt for an endoscope. However, one the the surgeon got my result from the swallow study he said no need to do the scope. I was a huge mess inside. He said he never saw anything like it. So it sort of made me feel good to a point that it was a mechanical issue as well, not solely on me. I know I was able to eat like a regular person and I eventually began to drink alot with my meals, my error.....and I drank diet soda also a no no due to the carbonation.....I think all this added to the problems....

So, now all is fixed. I feel like a new person. I also had a hernia repair with this surgery and lots of scar tissue removed. Once I woke from surgery I felt like I could breathe. I was having so many issues prior to surgery and he fixed them all.

For this I am so grateful!

I wish you much luck. And I say GO FOR IT.....Plus congrats on the baby!

Keep me posted and if I can answer any more questions for you please ask away!

Melissa~
Wishmeluck123
on 5/15/11 4:32 am
PS: The reason why you/we can eat normally now, from what I have learned is that the stomach stretches over time. Each time we eat and pu**** just a bit we increase the amount of food that will fit into our pouch at any one given time. This time I plan on measuring forever. My nutritionist said that we need to eat 3-4 of protein and 2 oz of fruit or veggies 3 x a day....eventually our input will increase but we need to stop at that and eat again later if still hungry, but learn what true hunger is....try not to get to starving this will cause us to over eat. Eat slow and stop when you feel full.....Dont take that one last bite because it is left on your plate. Dont drink with meals and avoid carbonation.... All things I plan on doing this time....as I am sure you will do as well.......This is only a tool not a cure, we have to help ourselves. Which I do not think I did too well before.....
Frankie
on 5/16/11 12:47 am - NY
Wishmeluck123, what type of revision did you have.  I am in the same boat as well.  I had RNY in 2004 lost 122 lbs got preggo in late 2008 (delivered in 2009) and now I am well over 60lbs overweight.  I can eat more, and seem hungry all the time.  i am seeking a revision, but I am undecided as to go ahead and do the DS or have a revision to ERNY.

Thanks,
Frankie

Wishmeluck123
on 5/16/11 8:27 am
Hi Frankie~

I had a RNY revision. I was looking into the DS - however, I decided against it. My doctor would have to reverse the RNY and then do the DS and some of the side effects turned me off. So the RNY is now revised. Feeling wonderful and 23lbs down in 2 1/2 weeks....Off to a good start....I sought out the revision because I could eat LOTS and never EVER felt full......I had my original surgery done in 2001 - over the years I was not as compliant as I should have been...drank with meals, drank soda (diet) but the carbonation is not good.....started to gain....and then I decided to do my research. I have a wonderful surgeon in Westchester NY....Dr. A. Kaul.....If you are interested. So kind and sympathetic....I saw you live in NY :o)
Anyway.....best of luck to you....Please if you have any questions at all email me! Keep me posted.....

Melissa~
Frankie
on 5/17/11 1:28 am - NY
Hi Melissa,

Thanks.  I have to take the wls seminar tomorrow, I have a copy of my surgery report and I am scheduled for an endoscopy next week.  Besides my problems with being able to eat much more and not feel full.   I tend to be more gassy, my stomach has a burning feeling grom time to time.  Plus with my first surgery I had a leak which was repaired.  God only knows what they will see next week.  I am hoping that I can have surgery as early as July.

I live in the Bronx, but I am going to see Dr. Roslin but I will look up your doctor as well.

How are you feeling so far?  What did the surgeon do this time to your tummy? 

Wishmeluck123
on 5/17/11 10:26 am
Good luck with  your seminar. I had alot of same symptoms that you had. I needed a full revision, small bowel removed as well as more intestine. I also needed a hernia repair and scar tissue removal. I had the RNY the first time and he revised it. I did not want to change the type that I had...just wanted a small pouch. Which I have now. I feel wonderful.. Down 23 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks.Keep me posted Frankie!

Melissa~
Most Active