Goodbye Lapand Hello Revision. What do I need to do to begin this new journey

Sexyvt123
on 5/15/11 2:38 am
I was banded back in 4/08 and since then only lost a total of 30pds which I've gain all back.  I am pretty much back to where I started.  Ive had it with this lapbad.  Every piece of food I put into my mouth I vomit back up.  Now I have chest pains like im having a heart attack.  I decided that in the morning I will be calling Dr Kurian (surgeon) and request a revision.  I have not decided which surgery I'm gonna do but I know for sure it will be the DS or VSG.  I don't know which one I should go with.  I do know that I want to lose more than 30pds.  Right now I am 360 and I want half of this weight gone.  Would I have to go through the same routine as I did to get the Lapband.  I really hope not. 

pandavenise
on 5/15/11 3:18 am
 I too have the lapband and am tired of it also. I had my surgery it  will be 2 years in Oct. I lost 30lbs but have gained 10 back. I am at 210 and would like to do sleeve but my insurance won't cover it . My surgeon seems to think v sleeve is the way to go. If you go to the DS site they say that is way to go.  I am going with RNY after my band. I had thought about DS but don't have any surgeons in my area that will take my insurance for that. I too hate the lapband and haven't been able to get it to the right spot with out throwing up. I had to do three more months of diet because I only had to do three at the time i had the lapband. Also it had been so long. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Sexyvt123
on 5/15/11 4:49 am
If you had someone in your area that can do the DS would you pick the DS?

pandavenise
on 5/15/11 7:04 am
 I thought abotut DS but I have medicare and the DRS in the bay area most of them don't take medicare for wls that does the DS. I am also concerned that I have about 70 lbs to lose and am worried that the ds is too much for that amount of weight loss. 
MsBatt
on 5/15/11 6:30 am
It comes down to whether youo need/want malabsorption or not. The VSG is a good surgery, but it only provides restriction. The DS has the same stomach except a bit larger---less restriction, balanced out my malabsorption.

The thing about Sleeve vs. DS is---how's your metabolism? Can you easily lose weight (I'm guessing not, since your experience with the Band), but you re-gain it every time? Or is your body super-efficient and hangs onto every calorie it can? (That was my situation.)

The DS will make a major, permanent change to your metabolism. Current theory is that the restriction of the DS is what causes to initial weight loss, but that it's the malabsorption that gives the DS such good long-term, maintained weight loss stats. That's also what makes the Ds so very good at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.
Most Active