Repost - The dangers of NSAID's

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/11 12:36 pm - NV
Gastric bypass, and the surgeons who perform it, have left me near death, with a feeding tube, living off disability and uninsurable. I would like to share my story, with you and your audience, about some of the common, yet avoidable, complications of bariatric surgery. This surgery is becoming too commercialized and routine. Many times it's being performed without the patient being educated about the life-long changes they need to make in order to be successful and healthy long-term.

I had bariatric surgery, or open gastric bypass, in December 2002. I was 33 years old and had been overweight and obese the majority of those years. I had done nearly two years of research before surgery and continued my research after surgery. I was extremely excited about what was to come. Within the first two weeks I lost 18 pounds. Wow! Then it stopped. I was eating tiny, well-balanced, two-ounce meals but the weight would not budge. I did not touch sugar, fat or anything with high calories. I only drank water. I followed the doctors’ orders to the letter. But I was not exercising.

I started exercising and the weight started coming off. I exercised for 90 minutes, 6 days a week. If I stopped exercising for a week, it would take me a month to lose another pound. I fought for every pound I lost. It took two years, but at 5 feet 3 inches tall, I went from at least 275 pounds to 160 pounds and was on top of the world, still exercising and eating right.

In March of 2008, I went to Mexico to have some dental work done, on the advice of a friend. The dentist put me on 1600mg of ibuprofen a day for two months. Roughly two months after I discontinued the use of ibuprofen, I started vomiting. It quickly became a daily occurrence. One day after eating my small breakfast and lunch, around 2:00 p.m. I had to vomit again, but this time I realized I was vomiting up dinner from the previous night.

Scared, I ended up at a gastroenterologist’s office. He ran a camera scope down my throat and said that the opening from my stomach to my intestines had closed down to the size of a pinhole, due to scar tissue. I was told that scar tissue is considered a common complication for gastric bypass patients. After reviewing my medical history, he asked if I use ibuprofen, and I was then told that gastric bypass patients should not take ibuprofen or any
Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs), as they build up scar tissue. For six years I had been taking a few NSAIDs for aches and pains here and there. None of my doctors had said anything.

I wish my story ended there. Next, my gastroenterologist did a scope down my throat with an inflatable balloon at the end of the scope. This was to open up the scar tissue, which is built-up tissue around my incisions caused during my gastric bypass. This procedure, called a “balloon dilation," works on all but 2% of bypass patients. I am part of that 2%. After having two scopes with balloon dilation, I was told I needed gastric revision surgery.

On January 29, 2009, my new bariatric surgeon performed an open gastric revision, which split me from the tip of my chest-bone down to my belly button. The surgeon was recommended, well-known and even has a commercial on television about gastric bypass. However, right after surgery, I was still vomiting. Not even two weeks after surgery, they performed another scope down my throat, and my gastroenterologist wrote in my record that the bariatric surgeon had sewn my stomach shut. Now, instead of a stricture
, or constriction, between my stomach and my intestines, I had a stricture from my esophagus to my stomach. The surgeon denied it, saying that I rebuilt scar tissue within those two weeks. After five months, seven additional scopes with balloon dilation and 59 days in the hospital, I was forced to get a feeding tube, fired from my job (which then left me with no insurance), and my doctor told me I had to go on disability. I got down to 117 pounds, lost all muscle mass, fat, menstruation, and nearly all of my teeth due to the malnutrition. My nutrients are now fed to me 12-16 hours a day through a tube in my chest that sits right on my bra line.

There is more to my story, but I’ve condensed it as best as I could. I am trying to share my story with others through talk shows, magazines, radio, the Internet—whatever means possible.I'm hoping that by hearing my story, people will realize that gastric bypass is a not a quick fix. It's a tool, which if used correctly, takes effort, changes in diet, changes in medication, supplements, the amount of food eaten and plenty of exercise. And these are things that could be done without the surgery and the possibility of complications. I'm hoping that gastric bypass patients research and become educated about all facets of this procedure, short and long-term, including choosing the right doctor. I would not be where I am today if I had known NSAIDs caused scar tissue, and I have researched this surgery extensively.

I appreciate you reading my story.
I would be more than happy to do an interview to talk more about my experience, and have several photographs documenting my complete story.This is not the end of my story, but hopefully just a positive beginning. Thank you so much for your time.

Leslee Hill
Reno, Nevada [email protected]
lind2times
on 5/11/11 2:33 pm - Davie, fl
I am shocked to read your story.  I had gastric bypass in 2003 and a lap band in 2008.   I am going in Monday for a removal of my band as I have awful acid reflux from it.  They are going to do an endoscopy to see if I have an ulcer as well.
Now after reading your story I am scared.  I have taken NSAID's since the 1990's.....I hope I do not have any scaring from it.
I'll let you know after my endoscopy.
I wish you the best of luck.
Take Care
Linda
Gastonia NC
Roni W.
on 5/12/11 7:01 pm - Forty Fort, PA
I'm sorry but something doesn't add up here. If you did two years of research on gastric surgery HOW did you miss the lists of medications that you can never take again?? It's all over the place where there is info on WLS. Also there are many warnings on NSAID labels.......did you read any of them? Personal responsibility has to come into play at some point, your surgeon can't possibly be blamed for everything. In your pre-surgery paperwork I bet this info was there.......the patient has to read and ASK questions though.

Roni in PA :)
"Those hairline cracks running through me are stronger than your wholeness. Every stitch on me represents an obstacle I've overcome."
                                                    gu siorraidhbrath

cajungirl
on 5/13/11 6:21 am
Roni I understand what you are saying and agree that we have to take responsibility and continue to learn post surgery.

In the OPs defense she had surgery a long time ago and back then the information available and what surgeon's told them was very lacking in our needs.  In the 6 years since my surgery things have improved with knowledge and will continue to as the years go by.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MsBatt
on 5/15/11 6:38 am
Cut the OP some slack. She had her RNY nearly ten years ago, when there was far less info readily available on- OR off-line. She trusted her surgeon---GASP! How FOOLISH!!!

And---there are people posting on the board EVERY DAY who don't know that NSAIDs and RNYs don't mix. There are people posting here who don't even know what NSAIDs ARE.

The OP isn't a troll. She's been posting here off and on for more years than you've been a member. This is HER truth---be glad it isn't yours.
Roni W.
on 5/18/11 2:58 am - Forty Fort, PA
I NEVER called the OP a troll, so I don't have any idea where that came from. Were you insinuating that I am a troll?? I don't think it's a contest as to who has been posting here the longest either.

The reason the OP bothers me so much is that people come to this board every day, seeking info, just beginning their journey. I believe that being overly dramatic and using language such as "they split me from breastbone to belly button"........(which, btw, is the normal size of an open gastric bypass incision).....could just scare people off before they even begin. People's lives are saved every day because of gastric bypass, including mine!

YES, there can be complications, and YES it is high risk.........I've been a nurse for years and even "way" back in 2002, they fully informed patients of the risks of rny surgery prior to doing it on you! It IS a huge decision, but NOT every person can, for either physical or mental/emotional reasons, exercise and diet to lose weight. It doesn't always work........and most of us here are proof of that. So by generalizing and making a blanket statement that Gastric bypass surgery and the surgeons who perform it are killing people is just wrong, in my opinion.

I don't ask anyone to agree with my opinion, but I will demand my right to express it. You don't have to read it or enjoy it, that's why they make a "back " button, a "delete" button and I think there's even a way to block posts from people whom you don't care to read their opinions.

Thanks for the support from those who expressed it, and good luck to the OP, I hope things are going better in your life now, I truly do!

Roni in PA :)
"Those hairline cracks running through me are stronger than your wholeness. Every stitch on me represents an obstacle I've overcome."
                                                    gu siorraidhbrath

Stacey-71
on 5/13/11 8:55 am - OH
This was very scary! And I also think a lot of things have changed since RNY surgery done in 2002. And so many new studies have been done since then. But the one thing that still stays the same is that everyone has to be their own advocate in their own healthcare! You have to stay in the "game" so to speak with keeping up with your supplements and vits and blood work and stay away from things your supposed to stay away from. When you are willing to undergo such a life altering surgery, education, education, education is the name of the game!
I wish you luck tho and hope your journey gets better at some point!
Good Luck to you!
Most Active