Lap-band to RNY Approved!

azambesi
on 5/10/11 8:41 am - Milton, FL
 I just got word last night that I have been approved to go from Lap-Band to RNY. I have really mixed feelings about the whole thing, but I have had so many problems with the band.

I was banded in August 2010 and remember having horrible pain at the site of the port initially. I built up a bunch of fluid around the port, but after many weeks it finally started to drain. I was supposed to have my first fill after 6 weeks, but had too much fluid around the port, so the surgeon waited until late October to try it.

I finally went in to have my first fill... flipped port. (Confirmed in X-Ray)

In November, I went in to have my port flipped back and my surgeon put 2cc into my band at that time.

Again, fluid built up around my port. HUGE amounts of fluid this time... It looked like I had a grapfriut stitched behind the port incision. I lost some weight after the fill, but 2cc's in a 12cc band won't hold you for long...

After months of waiting for the fluid to go down, I went in to the office for another fill... flipped port. (Again confirmed)

I did a bunch of research on my own during this time and think that my body is obviously having a bad reaction to the foreign plastic of the port. My surgeon thinks that I am building fluid because of that and that the fluid is pushing the stitches out of the muscle. 

He suggested moving the port to my other side. In the 9 months I have had the band, I have yet to have a successful fill.  It is time for this thing to go!  I initially lost a bunch of weight, but have been busily regaining. (Partially because I have no restriction - partially because of sheer band frustration!)

I go on 5/16 for the revision. He hopes to do it in one surgery because I have not had the band long enough to do severe stomach damage.

Hoping it goes well  :)

Aletheia
Wishmeluck123
on 5/10/11 9:53 am
HI!

Just wanted to wish you all the best. You will do great! I just had a revision on my RNY...My original one was done 10 years ago....and had some mechanical issues. Which are now resolved. 13 days post op and lost 19 pounds already, about 60 more to go.

All I can say is the RNY is not a cure either....simply a tool. Repsect it and do your best and you will succeed. I think these 2 weeks have been torture but all part of the learning experience....and the journey.

Good luck!

Melissa~
dsgarza
on 5/12/11 7:41 am
Hello my name is Diana.  I had a lap band placed in 2006 I lost about 65lbs, now 5 years my lap band can't be filled because I get bad reflux and throw up.  I have an appt. with my doctor to start the revision process.  Lap band to RNY any advice and why has it been torture for you?

Diana
Wishmeluck123
on 5/12/11 9:27 am
Diana~

I think it was hard for me these past 2 weeks, because I couldnt drive and was homebound and couldnt eat anything but 3oz of protein shakes 3x a day......It was more in my head....

However, now I am starting 1 meal a day...so far so good.....But I am uncertain about the time during meals....Today I didnt eat since  1pm and I just got  home now it is 7:30 and I am starved...Dinner is cooking some tilapia...but what about the hunger from 1pm - 7:30pm....I do not think this hunger is  in my head I am truly ravious....Soooo I am so confused
 Good luck with your revision
Band to DS
on 5/10/11 12:16 pm, edited 2/4/12 3:07 am

Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

terilynn112
on 5/12/11 3:57 am - maryland, NY
Congratulations. I'm a band to RNY revision. I have lost 63-65 pounds. I've had some stumbling blocks health wise, but they're getting better and I'm told they're not rny related.

Good luck.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Holly O.
on 5/12/11 8:29 am - FL
I see my surgeon in about a week, Monday the 23rd.  Looking for revision from Lapband to RNY.  I have had the band since Nov 3/06........looking foward to getting rid of it. Way to many headaches and now evn more weight to lose!!!
   Holly                                      
bluek
on 5/13/11 4:09 am - Austin, TX
I just had my revision lap band to RNY! I had so many problems with the band (vomiting daily, etc) - I am SO glad to have it out. I self paid, and am very jealous that your insurance is covering it
I am just 8 days (and 8 lbs) out, but I feel great and am so ready for this new journey. So glad I do not have to vomit everyday anymore!
Most Active